• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal for bobcats/feral cats/coyotes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsh trapper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
anybody have any past experiences with a 32 cal on these animals? and if so any pics of what damage it can do? or stories i have a 32 cal frontier / blue ridge ... thanks

I'm with Stumpy on this, Keep the sniper motto in yer head,"one shot, one kill",keep the shots close nothing marginal and dead on in the kill zone. Broadside, standing still, gun supported n stable n you should be ok, if you have ANY doubt as you line up the sights, LET EM WALK. You can always get em tomorrow. just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

I've thought about getting a 32. On a 50 with a 1/48 twist you can shoot PRB or conical. If there was a similar thing on the 32- you could use a PRB on squirrel and a heavier conical on yotes- is there any such possibility with the 32? One more thing, I believe on the twist- it probably ought to be fast-favored towards the conical- since the yote will be at a longer range, it is my understaning that a light powder charge and slower PRB will be more accurate in a fast twist that a PRB with a heavier charge,so it could still be okay on short range squirrel. IAE- any comments appreciated.

I'm a little more kind to the .32 than the other posts are. As long as you don't try and stretch the range out too far and you make sure you hit the kill zone I think you'll be just fine. I rate the .32 prb slightly ABOVE the .22 mag in killing power (but not range). While a .36 or .40 is much, much better, top loads in a .32 pack a small but mean whollop.

I agree with you Hanshi. I've been using my .32 for a lot of years now and if kept within it's range, it's a dandy. Wouldn't give it up for anything.

Vern

I think you'll be fine. Keep the shots where they belong both placement and range wise, and the .32 will work just as well as anything else in its class. Just use it like you would any small caliber. Limit the range to ranges where you have no doubts about placement, dont take chances with moving game, and pass on any shot that you have doubts over. But dont worry about the size of that ball cause it will work fine on game up to at least 60 lbs, and I would personally push it beyond that if the conditions were perfect.

On my trap line I am only allowed to carry a .22 with "shorts" for dispatching coyotes on state land. Does the job just fine. I know you all are going to say the range is much shorter than you are talking about in this thread, but bullet placement is way more important that size.

Have shot too many yotes with a .22 mag to count on my uncles farm as well. Thicker than crows some years...

I'd be right comfortable with a .32 in my hands going after them

Back