• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 accuracy at 50yds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot my .32 CVA squirrel rifle at about 30 yards and can put all my shots in a 3" target consistently.
Haven’t tried my Crockett out to 50 yards. I plan on doing so someday when I can get to the range. As it is now, 25 yards is generally less than one inch.

I really don’t cere how accurate it is at 50 yards because that’s farther than I can see how to shoot a squirrel. Supposed to get my eyes restored back to normal soon. If everything goes well, I’ll most likely give it a try out to 50 yards. Depending on the results, I may or may not try to shoot a squirrel out a little further.

I will post my findings then.

There is one poster on here that has posted pics of tight patterns from 50 yards with his old Crockett.

how accurate is your 32 at 50yds? i bought my wife a crocket investarms in 32 caplock, i have never had a 32. at 50yds off the bench the groups stink! i am casting balls from a lee gang mold. the balls weigh fairly constant. they patches are fine. i have tried from 20-40gr. of powder, none of that matters. i am just wondering if i am trying to stretch the little ball along with a short barrel beyond what it is capable of, although a 22 rimfire if fine at 50 so i would think a 32 bp should be also, what do y'all think? i haven't tried it at any shorter range because 50yds is what we shoot offhand. maybe you have some photos of your groups at 50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Specifically, what is everything in your loads?

Powder brand and type.

Patch thickness and material.

Ball diameter.

Lube.

Are your sights and vision up to the task?

Also, if it were me I’d darn sure try it from 25 yards first. That way you will, or should, know if it’s you or the ML.
If it isn’t grouping well at 25 yard then something is amiss. IMO, the Crockett rifles require a little different hold than most ML.

This is a target after I first got my Crockett. Try as I did, it was difficult to repeat that. It wound up being the way I was holding the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Specifically, what is everything in your loads?

Powder brand and type.

Patch thickness and material.

Ball diameter.

Lube.

Are your sights and vision up to the task?

Also, if it were me I’d darn sure try it from 25 yards first. That way you will, or should, know if it’s you or the ML.
If it isn’t grouping well at 25 yard then something is amiss. IMO, the Crockett rifles require a little different hold than most ML.

This is a target after I first got my Crockett. Try as I did, it was difficult to repeat that. It wound up being the way I was holding the rifle.
no offence sir, but anything can shoot at 25 yds. as far as my ability to shoot here is what i can do offhand at 50yds. 3 shots with a 54 flintlock, so i can shoot a little. the only thing i can attribute the poor accuracy for is either the home cast ball or the barrel wedge causing a bedding issue. when i shoot it again i am going to use Hornady balls and if that don't change things i will shoot it without the wedge.
54 GROUP 3.jpg

I have a pair of .32 caliber Pedersoli Frontier model rifles, one flint and one percussion.
Each of them will shoot an 1 1/2" group at 50 yards, I haven't tried them beyond that.

I was just out sighting in my (somewhat) new to me Frontier flintlock
At 50 yards, using 38 gr of Goex, I'm halfway up the buckhorn sight
Does that seem right ?

Last edited:
no offence sir, but anything can shoot at 25 yds. as far as my ability to shoot here is what i can do offhand at 50yds. 3 shots with a 54 flintlock, so i can shoot a little. the only thing i can attribute the poor accuracy for is either the home cast ball or the barrel wedge causing a bedding issue. when i shoot it again i am going to use Hornady balls and if that don't change things i will shoot it without the wedge. View attachment 349332
Olskool, this was not a dig at your shooting abilities whatsoever. Please do not take it as such. My point is that the Crockett rifle can be very finiky on how it is held. It is unlike any other rifle I have ever shot in my entire life. Nothing difficult, just has a way of its own that if not adhered to, will show on the target. It is not very forgiving.

Your assumption of any rifle can group well at 25 yards is not true in several aspects. One, for starters is, the load combination that it prefers best. Try to feed it something else and you will find it will not group well at 25 yards. I have went through this with one of my Crockett rifles. Until I found what it likes best, the 25 yard group(s) were not good. It might have grouped a few well but fliers were there also. Thus my rational of asking what loads you were trying to make your Crockett digest. I have, without doubt, tested one of my Crockett rifle extensively within the last year with different loading combinations including different RB and RB sizes. All of that testing was done off of a bench until the optimal load was achieved. Then it was on to offhand shooting.

If you choose to take offensive to this, and refuse to discuss loadings, then good luck to you. I am simply conveying what I have learned in an attempt to help you.

Good day, Sir. :)

Last edited:
Back