• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Cal Round Ball Velocities?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiochuck

Lifetime Supporter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Have a TVM Late Lancaster on the way. Those who shoot .32 cal can you tell me the velocities you found using a chronograph with these powder charges using 3 FFF with round blls?
15 gr
20 gr
25 gr
30 gr
Thanks!
Jim

Other people's velocities won't correlate to your particular barrel length/powder/ball/patch combinations.

It's best to send your pet loads through a chronograph.

I use 25 grains of 3f in my Rice barreled 41" SMR flintlock with round bottom rifling 1:48" twist with a .320 ball in a .015 mink oil lubed patch. I get 1600+ FPS at 15' from the muzzle. With my Pedersoli Pennsylvania caplock with 41" barrel and 1:48" twist I use 15 grains of 3f with a .315 ball in a .010 mink oil lubed patch and get an average of 1550 FPS 15 feet from the muzzle.

Wat Grim said is probably about the same as you will get. But, keep in mind those are muzzle velocities. The tiny, light .32 ball will lose energy and velocity very (very-very) quickly. This is why calibers of .45 and up are the most popular. They hold energy much better and allow for longer range shots.

Thanks for posting your velocities Grimord.

I'm about to find out with my new Pedersoli KY .32. It's nice to know what others are getting on average.
I do the same with cartridge loads. I compare them to the manual. Even though I know there are variables.

Now if this wind would die down...

Back