• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomberman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently picked up a .32 cal barrel at an auction and decided to make a squirrel gun with it. I took it to a local black powder store to see about having it rifled and was advised that it could be done but for the price I could buy a new barrel already rifled. The owner then suggested that I just use it as a smoothbore. So the question I have is would it be accurate enough to hit a squirrel sized critter at normal hunting distances without the rifling using a PRB?

It might carry a little further than you think. I would bet it would be accurate at least to 30-40 yards with a good rear sight. Perhaps much better with a good rear sight.

Is there a hardened shot size that would work?
Was thinking that maybe a hard shot would stay spherical for you better and have less tendency to veer off.

GoodCheer said:
Is there a hardened shot size that would work?
Was thinking that maybe a hard shot would stay spherical for you better and have less tendency to veer off.

I cast my own balls and bullets so that will be part of the load workup...try different levels of hardness to see which one performs better.

At squirrel distances and even beyond it will be as accurate as you are. Deadeye

Back