• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal squirrel rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jparsons

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a cva 32cal squirrel rifle that has never been fired until now . use 25grs of 3f and 015 patch .310 rp it burns patches went to .018 patches
it solved the burnt patches but a bear to load even with a clean bore could it be the barrel isn't broke in yet haven't shot it a lot cn't get away from work.

Try using felt OP wads. Make your own by purchasing some 1/8 inch thick hard felt from Duro-Felt (www.durofelt.com). Then purchase a set of cheap hollow punches from your local hardware store. You can punch out a lot of wads from a few square feet of Duro-Felt. The felt wads will keep the patches from burning through and, in many cases, will reduce fouling and improve your shot to shot consistancy. To keep fouling down, I put a drop of Ballistol on each wad. Don't use too much, you don't need very much. Just use enough to slightly dampen the wad. You will be amazed by the difference a snug fitting Ballistol wad will make.

Another idea is to put about 10 grains (volume) of either grits, cornmeal or Cream of Wheat on top of your powder charge. it weon't do anything to improve on your fouling but it will seal the burning powder from the patch. I know it sounds strange but it works and, no, it won't hurt your gun at all, It is a trick that has been used by muzzleloader shooters for years.

Have you tried less powder? I shoot 20gr. out of my .32s and squirrels hate it! :wink:

cap lock said:
I bought a cva 32cal squirrel rifle that has never been fired until now . use 25grs of 3f and 015 patch .310 rp it burns patches went to .018 patches
it solved the burnt patches but a bear to load even with a clean bore could it be the barrel isn't broke in yet haven't shot it a lot cn't get away from work.

Lighten up on the powder. I'm using 15 grs. of fffg under a .315 ball and .018" ticking. No burning and shoots like a house afire out to 50 yds.

An op wad should be just the ticket. My .32 is a Traditions Crockett and op wads work with any load. Actually, almost anything will work as an op wad. I've use punched leather, felt, a dry patch - and I know this sounds weird - toilet paper. Toilet paper is possibly the best one in my Crockett and many other guns as well. A small wad of the paper is pushed down on top of the powder. It works at least as well as wasp nest. When fired it turns into "snow" and I've never had it smolder. Toilet paper is cheap, easy to use and works like a charm. Give it a try.

thanks everyone for all the info going to try your suggestions when it warms up.

I have never had any trouble with the patches on my .32 burning. I use 20 grains FFFg goex a overpowder wad and generally use either Stumpy's Moose snot or Stumpy's Moose juice soaked into the patches and allowed to dry. Good luck with your squirrel rifle......................watch yer top knot..............

Never used a op before . When using one can you tell a difference in the feel when seating the prb

No; or at least I can't. It might have something to do with the way you seat the prb whether or not you feel the difference. I just don't see it.

Back