• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 Crockett cleaning headaches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexis

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey all, I’ve got a traditions Crockett that’s giving me nightmares when it comes to cleaning.

I’m not sure if this is normal, or this particular rifle is a problem child, or if I’m just an idiot…or possibly all 3.

First time around got my jag stuck so solid I had to lock my cleaning rod (steel rod) down in a vice and was barely able to get it out with every ounce of my being.

Went and shaved down my jag a bit and cut my patch in half and tried again…AND…stuck again. Still needed the vice but didn’t have to break myself in half to get it out.

I shaved a bit more off the jag and started cutting my patches into circles that have to be just the right diameter. Now it seems to work, but it still sticks and is jerky and not smooth at all. And sometimes it drops the patch.

I just can’t seem to find a middle ground here.

So now I’m still stuck with a lesser headache and custom made patch worm as the real one I have is slightly too large. The whole situation is barely functional at best.

It’s very disappointing because I really enjoy shooting this rifle and this situation has completely taken the wind out of my sails.

I have no idea if it does or doesn't but I doubt its my overall issue either way as the force to overcome doesn't change if i'm able to pass fully seated. Its tight all the way until its a few inches from fully extracted.

I've had a problem where the jag and patch went down easy but got stuck tight on the way back out. The patch got wadded up behind the head of the jag somehow due to not enough clearance between the head and the shank of the jag and it jammed in the bore, or something like that.

Ok, that might be relevant as I distinctly remember each time being shocked at how bad it got stuck after minimal resistance on insertion. That would also potentially explain when i cut the rounds just small enough to have a tiny bit of overlap back over the jag that it works. But the catch 22 is it drops every 4th or 5th patch and any larger hang up again.

Oh yea, seems like everytime it gets stuck. Been several threads on the topic. I measured my cleaning rod, only go to the point of almost grabbing the patch. Clean then I switch to a 22cal wire brush. Plenty small and I know folks will holler about the wire brush but the purpose is to hold the cleaning patch in place and not have it come off the jab against the breech creating that problem of getting it out. Gets down into the fire channel without the patch coming off or getting stuck.

Got stuck sometimes a 230 lb old man had to find a neighbors vice to get it out. Lots of words said. Join the club.

Latest posts

Back