• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Crockett Rifle Hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Wasmuth

50 Cal.
Reaction score
This past weekend a few of us got together for a traditional black powder hunt for hog and bison. I was curious as to how the .32 Crockett rifle would work on a smaller size hog with the right shot placement. After spotting some sleeping hogs stalked to 50 yards of them and waited for a nice one to stand up. After a 15 minute or so wait the one hanging in the picture next to me, (I'm the one wearing the Footshotee) I aimed between his eye and his ear and touched it off. He dropped like a stone. Kinda impressive for a 47 grain patched round ball and fourty grains of FFg at 50 yards. I like it!
PignicMarch2008012-1.jpg

Oh yeah! One of the Brothers killed a big cow bison, about 1100-1150 pounds with a CVA Hawken Flinter .50 cal using a 490 patched round ball and 95 grains of FFg Goex. Took 2 rounds but it worked. I'll try to get a pic put up before to long. It was a great weekend. Couple others went after their hogs with dogs and knives, which is always a blast.

Hey, all that talk about heavy balls and slugs latley, have'nt you been reading :grin:
Well done, accuracy wins every time. I learnt that when I got a pheasant with a daisey bb gun.
Good for you and the bison shooter :thumbsup:

I know, I know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL! But even worse is when people tell you "Them old traditional ML's never were worth a dang, ya can't kill anything with em, and they lack power to ....." and yada yada yada. You can have the biggest chunk of lead flying down range in the world, but if you can't hit anything with it, whats the point?
Here's a picture of ThunderHeart, from the ML forum, and his Buffalo......
PignicMarch2008016.jpg

nice hunt guys, I truely respect those who try traditional gear,very seldom does anyone regret the choice of a PRB when it is put in the right place.

I have to say that I'm envious and respectful of you fellas.
the hog you have on the gambrel is about the size of one I drilled with my '58 Rem. over bait.
I got a larger sow with my ROA but took 2 shots.
I've been working up loads with my .50 and a REAL slug for the big boys (hopefully).
good on ya' Mate! :hatsoff:

Yes sir. If people that use traditional style rifles and equipment, and understand what they can and can't do, and stay with in those boundries, PRB is a clean efficient killer. If it wasn't, we'd of all died out long time ago. You just have to love it! I figured out a very long time ago that anyone using a center fire with a scope on it can thump a deer at 500 yards, easy enough to do. But it actually takes skills close to archers to get it done the way I like to do it.
And thats just me, other people don't agree, and thats them. But I gotta agree with you TG, sure does make for one heck of a hunt.

It was a great time !! The hog hunt you did was a fun to watch. You and Allen was darn near in them hogs living room before they ever knew a thing was happening. As for my Buffalo hunt It was one i will always remember !

Nice shooting. I have a .32 Crockett too and I hope to get it to Florida some time for a hog hunt.

Tell us about your outfit. I'm not familiar with the term "footshotee". Google did not help and you don't want to know what googling footshote turned up.

Thanks. The Footshotee is the long hunters coat in Muskogean/Lower Creek/Seminole. It's design was close to the long hunters coat but most always used different colors of cloth on the edges and borders for decorations. The caps could be rounded with a border, squared, or pointed on the ends. Todays Seminole/Miccosukee path work jackets, coats, skirts were birthed from these early coats. The design I use is based on designs from pre 1840. Later on in years they became much more elaborate, especially after the introduction of the sewing machine.

The leggings are close side stitch decorated with fringe, all made from buckskin.

The Moccasins are Mikasuki,(Miccosukee) old design single side seams with longer flaps on the top edge for wearing up in cooler weather or protecting from saw grass, and in these areas here, cactus. Also made of buckskin.

Prior to the turban being adopted cloth head bands with longer tails were worn, both to keep the hair outa the eyes and sweat off the brow.

Lota history in the clothing that I wear when I hunt.

Cool, Thanks. I thought it might be Creek/Seminole style, looks pretty comfortable too.

:applause: Yea yea yea great shot n all that but how did ya cook up them critters? A Roundhunter Needs ta know :rotf: fresh hog and /or buff yer killing me with jealousy n my belly is growlin like an ol grumpy grizzl bar. Looks like ya had a great time n congrats, never would a thought a 32 would do in a hog that size in one shot. Placement is everything for sure :thumbsup:

Back