• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 for coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has used a .32 for coyotes?last year i called 2 in close about 10yrds away but i was deer hunting with my .54.this year i took my wife and i called in it to 75 yrds and shot it with my .54.game over for that coyote.i have a .32 flint and would like to give that a try.where would you want to shoot head or heart shot?

Boiler room shot is what you want. It is a bigger target and take out a heart or lungs, nothing survives. Head shots can leave some horrible wounds that may kill it eventually, but not my style of taking game.

I have seen coyotes drop deader than a door nail to a .22. Of coarse a .32 flintlock will do the trick, and agree with the target area others have recommended.

I shoot a .32, while I haven't had much luck calling in a yote, I wouldn't hesitate a shot within 50-60 yds using 30 grs of tripple 7 3f under a pure lead ball. currently using the hornady 40 gr .310 Even tin cans show small going in but seem to flatten out to almost .45 exit hole. On the small game even on a good size rabbit their head is almost always removed using only 15 gr and above mentioned hornady's. I would probably take a longer shot but unless its a good day for my eyes 60 yds is about max for me right now. I use a crocket with 1-48 twist.

I'm a fur trapper and shoot coyotes point blank with .22 LR. Dead coyote. Head shots SHOULD NOT be taken because head wounds bleed a lot and the head is a delicate place to skin- the eyes, ears, lips, etc- If blood is all over the place you have a bad job at hand. Aim halfway between the top and bottom of the lung area.

Back