• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Rice barrel load suggestion???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobbletn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm finishing my build with a 44" .32 cal Rice barrel. I am wondering about bullet diameter and ticking size suggestions? Also Any worked up load suggestions would be great. Thanks

Like any other rifle you should probably start with 1/2 the bullet caliber in grains. So for that .32 I would go with 15 grains of 3F powder assuming a .300 roundball. Now I have never had the pleasure of shooting one of them pea shooters, but it should be not much different than other rifles. Now that ball is going to need to be about a .300 or a tad smaller I figure taking into consideration the patch. A .010 patch should be fine for such a dainty caliber. I doubt you would easily get a .300 ball down the barrel with a .015 patch. That is a small space and the patch will take up some room, more so than a larger bore.

Starting with 15 grains of 3F and work it up in 2 grain increments would be my approach. Once the best group is found adjust the sights to POA.

I suppose you could go with a smaller ball and thicker patch, but I wouldn't.

I am jealous! I would love to hunt squirl and wabbit with one. Bulk buying buck shot should not be dismissed.
Bet you nearly peaked before 25grns.

Report back :thumbsup:

B.

a .310 or .315 ball with 15 to 30 grains of 3F Goex. for patch I'd start with 15 thousands and work up if needed.

Dunno a Rice 32 from Rice Crispies. But I shoot a lot of 32 cal, as well as 30 cal and 36 cal. In all of them I am getting startling accuracy and great performance on game by working my loads DOWN the scale.

Even at 22LR velocities, those little balls raise cob with eating meat, as though you hit them with a 22 hollow point, but worse. I'm finding 15 grains of 3f too much on game for my tastes in 32 cal, and range tests say I'll be using 10 grains in it this fall. Still plenty flat shooting to 35 yards (far as I've shot it) and accurate as a snake bite.

I'd probably start yours at 20 grains of 3f, but try 15 grains as well as 25 grains just to see what's up. Dunno about ball/patch diameter, but tighter will be better for limiting fouling build-up. Most guys who complain about excess fouling in small calibers are either using too loose a combo or the wrong lube. Speaking of lubes, grease lubes keep fouling softer and limit swabbing better than liquids like spit, at least when you're field shooting with long waits between shots, rather than range shooting.

Not a Rice barrel (GM), but I'm using a .318 cast ball, drill patch (.018") and 20gr Goex FFFg. Spit on the target range and plain old Bore Butter for hunting. Loads easy enough and shoots into a 1/2" at 25 yds.

Mooman76 said:
All mine but one like a .310 ball, .015 patch and about 20 gr of powder. The other one is an old ML with oversized bore.

That is about where my Crockett load sets, my patch is I think just a tad thicker. But I am hazy on its uncrushed thickness so maybe they are the same. At 20 grs of fffg better head shoot .that little .32 will make a mess .

I use an old Lee mold to cast for mine, and with range scrap lead (soft enough to scratch with a fingernail), it casts at .312", and I use .014" patch. I use the same ball/patch/moose juice combo in both my .32s. The CVA Squirrel gets 20grs of 3F, and the 42" TVM built Sitting Fox kit with the Longhammock barrel gets 15grs of 3F.

Thanks guys.... I think I'll start with .310 ball and .015 ticking... Can't wait to shoot it!!!

In my Crockett I generally hunted with 30grns of Goex 3F and a .311" ball. It is spooky accurate and with mid-body hits gives only an entry and exit hole. While the exit hole is larger it is no different from what I'd experienced using my .22LR.

When I take delivery on my TVM SMR (Tn) .32 with a Rice rb swamped barrel I'll probably try 15 to 20 grains unless it wants a warmer load. Rifling on these barrels is a bit deeper than most so I'll forgo an .018" patch for (my) usual .024" patch. And YES, I prefer head shots.

In my Crockett, I have been using 20 grains of 3Fg, a .310 RB, cast from a Lee mold, and pre-cut pre-lubed patches, to good effect. With all of the blogs I have recently read, I think I will try less. Keep yer powder dry......Robin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back