• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Squirell Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Took out the little CVA that I finished a few weeks ago. Its a KEEPER. 23 Gr GOEX ffG ticking patch and .310 Hornady ball. One hole all day.I did use Natural lube on the ticking and was able to shoot 30 times with out wiping the barrel, not a bad fouling problem. I can't wait till squirell season to open. :grin: :)

Sounds like you found the load for yours. :thumbsup: .

I'm working on a kit now, CVA Squirrel .32 cal gun. :) .

I bought the kit unopened from some guy on another board. It was sitting in closet for over 10 years. :shake:

mrfishnhunt,
I am impressed! 30 shots from a new
barrel in .32 cal using 2ff Goex W/PRB.Shooting
1 hole all day.
I am tickeled to death when I put
3 shots in a sguirrel targets head at 25 yds,
with my .32 Crockett,using 25grns
3fff, and .310 PRB.
It is most likely just me and my
.32, but I would never shoot my Crocket 30 times
without wiping the barrel...
But then again if I were able to shoot
1 hole all day from a new barrel I may never
clean the barrel....Iwould just keep shooting
until I got 2 holes and then go sguirrel hunting.
Actually I think on any given day I could
shoot 30 times with 1 hole! Problem is there would
be 30 different holes.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Hey Snake, I use the old 0000 steel wool in the bore when I was building the kit. I think this cuts down on fouling and break in time. I put in about 200 strokes with some light oil. Seems to help me out. I also live where the humidity is 70% on a dry day.

Are you really using ffg or was that a typo? Nothing wrong with ffg, except "everyone" says it fouls so they use fffg. I use 23 gr fffg and a .310 ball in my .32--if I recall right, 23 gr is the amount of powder a .38 sp cartridge case will hold full-up...

How much effort do you need to start that Hornady ball with ticking? My Crockett takes a really solid whack, while .015 prelubes aren't bad at all.

It's really not too bad. I cut at the muzzle though. This might make it easier.

Mike Roberts said:
Are you really using ffg or was that a typo? Nothing wrong with ffg, except "everyone" says it fouls so they use fffg. I use 23 gr fffg and a .310 ball in my .32--if I recall right, 23 gr is the amount of powder a .38 sp cartridge case will hold full-up...
This must be THE load for the .32, I use this load also,(24 grains weighed- full 38 special case) in a t/c cherokee, with pillow tick/ lee .311 ball,and lehigh lube.After 5 shots or so, i have trouble seating the ball on the powder. I have to swab because of the 1 inch or so,that is just in front of the powder.

OK that's better...At least we are on the same page powder wise. Now at what distance,were we
shooting these one hole targets all day with a
.32 cal?
At 25yds I can consistaly make 5 shots look
like 3, but never have I ever been able to
show 2 shots as one....See what I mean.
If you can,new gun,new barrel or whatever,I will
say you are a much better shooter than myself.
I :surrender: :surrender:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

I was shooting at 25 yards, I can say that this rifle shoots better than my larger bores. By one hole I mean that after multiple shot there would be just one hole but it would be larger than .310. It would keep putting them in the sqme area, not a 1" spread of so.I wish I could shoot multiple shots and only get a .310 hole. If I did this I would think that I missed the target all together. :confused:

mrfishnhunt

Type O Thats fffG. I would have a problem with fouling with ffG.

I use 2F in my .32, barrel & pan. Does not foul my gun?

I use Birchwood Casey black powder bore solvent
as a patch lube, As easy to load the last shot as
was the first shot.
works great that way for me.

Tinker2

That REALLY gives me something to look forward to when I FINALLY get to try out the Squirrel I picked up Labor Day weekend.

Someone and quickly "cobbled up" the kit, wrong screws in places, missing in others. I'll be "overhauling" it with new more "correct" screws and stripping the stock AFTER I finally get to shoot it a bit.

Do they all use #10 caps?

Ol' Red

Use #11 caps, I have a large supply of #11 Mag caps so thats what I used. I figure with Goex and Mags I shouldn't get any miss fires if I do my part and keep things clean. These rifles are fun to shoot, The length of pull is just a little too short but I can make it work.
Rob

I love the .32`s also!! I had and sold a T/C Cherrokee because the length of pull was to short, but I bought a green mountian .32 caplcock barrel for my T/C Renegade and it is perfect :thumbsup: T/C sais 20-30 grains of FFFG is the sweet spot for this caliber and I would say they are right and 23-25 grains being the sweetest of all.

Jack

Back