• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32cal Crockett vs Turkey?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was finally able to get a decent shot today at close to 70yds. I shot out of the woods into a field and my little Crockett delivered. The .311dia RB hit just below the top of the back, right under the wings. The shot broke both wings, put a nice entrance hole and an exit about 2 ½” round. The bird flipped/kicked a few times, ran about 15yds with the wings dragging. It than stopped/flipped/kicked a few more times”¦”¦”¦”¦.lights out.

Now I can start some small game hunting

Good Hunting
.690RB

PB100003.jpg

70 yards!!! Nice shot. I've always wondered how the smaller bores would do on turkeys. How much did the bird weigh?

Great Shot!!!

One of the few drawbacks of Alaska, No turkeys and no crickets! Really like my Crocket.

I'm not the least surprised that the 32 killed the bird, but I am a little surprised at the size of that exit wound. What charge were you using? I'm shooting snowshoe hare rather than turkeys with my own Crockett, and inside 50 yards at that. But that size exit tells me the ball was still smoking pretty good. Of course, I'm down to a 20 grain charge now and still blowing up bunny heads pretty convincingly.

I've got to admit, I'm a bit jealous. We can't use small-bore BP rifles in Indiana for turkeys. Just shotguns. It's a shame too, because a number of turkeys are starting to take up roost behind my parents house.

Congrats on that great shot and a good looking bird!! :bow:

Luie b,
The bird wasn’t too big, about 15lbs. There was seven of them and that all were pretty much the same size.

BrownBear,
I use a home rolled .311RB 25%ww/75%pl/.0175 patch/moose snot/ox-wonder wad/30grs T-7 3f. Over a chronograph 5 shots average 2,097 fps in my gun. I proofed my gun with this load first and it’s safe in my gun but might not be in yours. The manual that was included with the rifle lists 35grs 3f BP as max. It groups 1 ½@100yds, which is minute of turkey for me. I personally think shooting edible small game with that load is a definite no-no unless you can make a head shot, which I don’t always get. So I like to use the load below.
For my grouse/squirrel /rabbit etc. load I use 10-12grs 3F Goex with a similar patch/ball combination will put 5 ball’s in a dime at 35yds it works perfect for me. I even went down to 8grs 3F Goex with some corn meal over top of the powder/patch/ball and killed a bunch of small game. It doesn’t turn the game inside out with a body shot. There is the occasional snowshoe hare where I hunt, and that would be a trophy for me.

The Crockett is probably my most fun gun, and appx 155 RB’s per lb it’s the most bang for the buck.

Good Hunting

Sounds like we're on the same page all around. I have no doubt that's a doable load, but I just don't have any experience with the 32 at higher velocities. I just keep going the other way, looking for the minimum accurate load on behalf of my closer range shooting at edible game. Nice to hear how low you've taken the charges. I feel like 20 grains of 3f Goex or Pyrodex P is still too hot for my uses, and plan to experiment with 15 or so once these darned deer quit distracting me. :grin:

Of course, all those snowshoes flitting through the brush are getting a lot distracting on deer hunts. :grin: We're in the first peak year of the cycle after a few low years. Last time we hit peak taking 20-30 a day was common, as long as you needed them and were willing to dress that many. And I'm here to tell you that 30 snowshoe hares in a pack takes all the fun out of such great hunting! :surrender:

20 or 30 hares would that amount to 60-80 lb of meat. I took after rabbits in the briar patch today with the long bow kicked out one but got away. I keep wanting to take my crockett pistol out and go after rabbits one day The old school brush gun. I remember when I used to raise rabbits when you could do it for 75 cents a pound dressed meat weight I did not hunt rabbits now I can raise lambs (1.25 lb dressed) cheaper than rabbits per lb 2.00 lb makes you appreciate the game you harvest figure that many rabbits saves you money enough to buy powder for a year.

Nice shot and pics. I always thought it would be fun to hunt them with a rifle but it's illegal here. Must use a shotgun or bow. Where you hunting that they can be rifled hunted? I may look into hunting there.

Good shot, I built a .36 tennessee rifle last year to shoot turkeys with and haven't drawn a tag since. Tons of turkeys here just no tag, oh well maybe next year. In ND the only rifle you can use for turkeys is a muzzleloader.

Excellent hunt! I'm envious, too. What state was your hunt in?
What twist does the crockett barrel have?

texcl said:
Good shot, I built a .36 tennessee rifle last year to shoot turkeys with and haven't drawn a tag since. Tons of turkeys here just no tag, oh well maybe next year. In ND the only rifle you can use for turkeys is a muzzleloader.

I like that rule. Has that always been the case in ND or was it changed at some point? ML with PRB only would be even better.

Fossil Hunter ,
Here is some info. On Pa’s Fall and Spring seasons: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/partIIItoc.html

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=466&q=150314

PART III. GAME COMMISSION

Source
The provisions of this § 141.44 adopted June 19, 1987, effective July 1, 1987, 17 Pa.B. 2464; amended February 27, 2009, effective February 28, 2009, 39 Pa.B. 1110; amended June 5, 2009, effective June 6, 2009, 39 Pa.B. 2801. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (342309) to (342310).
§ 141.45. Turkey.
(a) Fall turkey season.
(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the fall turkey season with any of the following devices:
(i) A manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single-projectile ammunition, except as otherwise prohibited in paragraph (2)(i).
(ii) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #4 Bismuth/tin or #2 steel.
(iii) A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.
(iv) A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.
(2) Prohibitions. While hunting turkey during the fall turkey season, it is unlawful to:
(i) Use a manually operated centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single projectile ammunition in Wildlife Management Units 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 5B, 5C and 5D.
(ii) Use drives or any method other than hand or mouth calling.
(iii) Use or possess an electronic caller or a live turkey as a decoy.
(iv) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.

(b) Spring turkey season.
(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt turkey during the spring turkey season with any of the following devices:
(i) A manually operated or semiautomatic, centerfire shotgun or muzzleloading shotgun using shot ammunition no larger than #4 lead, #4 Bismuth/tin or #2 steel.
(ii) A bow and arrow as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(iii).
(iii) A crossbow and bolt as permitted under subsection (a)(1)(iv).
(2) Prohibitions. While hunting turkey during the spring turkey season, it is unlawful to:
(i) Use a centerfire, rimfire or muzzleloading firearm using single projectile ammunition.
(ii) Use or possess single projectile ammunition, except arrows or bolts.
(iii) Use drives or any method other than hand or mouth calling.
(iv) Use or possess an electronic caller or a live turkey as a decoy.
(v) Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.

.690RB

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shot and great bird! I love my crockett rifle, kilt everything from hogs to deer with it, turkey, squirrel, rabbits, great rifles. :thumbsup:

Back