• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 cal SMR in Walnut completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Th
Plain old Lee 2 cavity.
Thats what I bought a couple of years ago when I got my 36 cal rifle. It’s the only Lee round ball mold I have. I prefer it to all my other brand RB molds because it leaves virtually no sprue on the ball.

Great! Thanks. The finish on the walnut looks really nice. Ordered walnut for my Fowler so think I will emulate your use of the BC filler before the T&T.
And if you add a bit of real gum turpentine to the T&T it will really help it soak in smoothly and dries much faster. You don’t need much turpentine, maybe 10-15 parts T&T to 1 part turpentine. But I’ve found the ratio is very forgiving. Just add a little gum turpentine at a time, stir it in until it thins the T&T slightly. I use this mix on everything now. You can do multiple coats in one day easily.

And if you add a bit of real gum turpentine to the T&T it will really help it soak in smoothly and dries much faster. You don’t need much turpentine, maybe 10-15 parts T&T to 1 part turpentine. But I’ve found the ratio is very forgiving. Just add a little gum turpentine at a time, stir it in until it thins the T&T slightly. I use this mix on everything now. You can do multiple coats in one day easily.
Wonderful suggestion! I do have some real gum turpentine so will plan to give that a whirl. Thanks again!

Finished up assembling my Kibler SMR today. Nothing out of the ordinary, only extras were a good internal & external lock polish, a toe plate, a couple of incised lines on the cheek rest, and some dimple adornment on the muzzle. And I also gave the bore a good scrub with JB bore paste, bore shine and green scotchbrite. I little finger tip polish on the crown too. Hopefully the bore scrub will aid in the barrel break in and ease the fouling a little. Standard Kibler front sight and a taller rear sight from Track of the Wolf. No stain on the stock, it was sanded, then 2 coats of BC sealer/filler, then 2 hand rubbed coats of my T&T oil varnish/gum turpentine mix. I used Jax Black on all the metal, just went for a much darker finish that what I’ve done in the past. Here’s some outside and inside photos.
Very nice workmanship, well done, you made one beautiful rifle.

Finished up assembling my Kibler SMR today. Nothing out of the ordinary, only extras were a good internal & external lock polish, a toe plate, a couple of incised lines on the cheek rest, and some dimple adornment on the muzzle. And I also gave the bore a good scrub with JB bore paste, bore shine and green scotchbrite. I little finger tip polish on the crown too. Hopefully the bore scrub will aid in the barrel break in and ease the fouling a little. Standard Kibler front sight and a taller rear sight from Track of the Wolf. No stain on the stock, it was sanded, then 2 coats of BC sealer/filler, then 2 hand rubbed coats of my T&T oil varnish/gum turpentine mix. I used Jax Black on all the metal, just went for a much darker finish that what I’ve done in the past. Here’s some outside and inside photos.
Very nice Thad! My kinda gun not a fan of the ones that look like a chandelier. Keep up the good work.

Back