• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 Cal twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two of the current producers have voted. The outcome is 1:48 for a .36 caliber bore.
The voters are Green Mountain and Colerain.

According to my 1980 Dixie Catalog Numrich provided a barrel in .36 cal with a 1:40 twist ($34.95). Douglas also had a .36 cal barrel for $67.50 but the catalog doesn't give the rate of twist.

Of possible interest, quoting from the 1980 Dixie Catalog
"BARREL TEST
We took one of our 10" sections of barrel blank unrifled and plugged both ends with two good breech screws and drilled a tiny vent hole, poured 210 grains of black powder in the barrel and fired it with our firecracker fuse to see if the barrel would blow up. Well it didn't. I guess these barrels will stand a mighty heavy pressure. I can't imagine all of that fire coming out of the vent hole but it did."

The catalog lists the calibers of these unrifled barrels as .38, .43 and .50. They were 10 or 48 inches long and were 13/16, 7/8, 15/16 and 1 inch octagons.

In my Lyman Muzzleloading Handbook, they use a 1-66 inch twist for all of their .36 caliber round ball loads...

Of corse it was a universal test barrel, but this is the twist they quoted...

IMHO, I feel it should be faster...

Back