• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 calibre kentucky kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hookie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
We wish to import to New Zealand 3 or 4 .36 calibre kentucky style percussion longrifles in kitset form. Have looked at Dixie and Traditions but find .36 calibre a bit difficult to find. These rifles will be used for target shooting only. Can anyone help? Hookie

Deer Creek has the .36 Traditions Shenandoah kit for US$365 (I don't know what that translates into for you). 33 1/2" barrel, 1:48 twist. Their phone # is 765-525-6181, fax 765-525-9595.
shenht9.jpg

Thanks for the quick response Kentuckywindage and Jumpshot.The Shenandoah $365 you mention translated in NZ dollars is roughly equal to $530 + tax and though personally I love it, it would work out to dear if we were to buy three as 'club' rifles for juniors to use. Any other ideas????
Thanks, Hookie

What's your price limit? Traditions is about the most affordable thing I can think of. There are cheaper kits, but it's harder to fit your requirements. They also have the Crockett kit, but it's a .32 and a half-stock design, for $269. There's the Kentucky rifle kit for $199, but it's a .45.

If these prices are too much, how about pistols? The .32 Crockett pistol kit is $126.

Although you have your mind set on a .36, you might consider looking at .45 cal rifles.

For target shooting, the .45 can be loaded with 35-40 grains of FFFg under a patched roundball and out to 50 yards they usually give excellent accuracy.

A 40 grain load of FFFg gives a muzzle velocity of 1459 FPS with a energy of 605 Ft/Lbs (per Lyman "Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual, 2nd ed).
While that is a bit stouter than the .36's it still is a very mild load in a rifle and juniors shouldn't have any problem shooting it.

zonie :)

I just got the 2007 Deer Creek catalog the other day, it contained a flyer of "new for 2007" listings. All those prices I quoted above are off that flyer (trying to help hookie find some affordable options), and there are a couple of others like the .45 Kentucky pistol and Deerhunter (.32 and .45) kits.

Thanks, that is the best price I have seen for the kit. Do you have a web site for them? They did not show up when I did a search.

I got my wood-stocked .36 Bobcats from them, good people to deal with. They're a small mom 'n pop operation, they don't have a website. But you can reach them here:

Ph. 765-525-6181
fax 765-525-9595

Thanks again Jumpshot. Yes I have seen the model by Tradition .45 cal and that is the one that the rest thought would be the best option if no .36 was available. Sadly pistols are out it has to be rifle. Thanks again. Hookie

Yeah Zonie it appears as if .45 might be the way we have to go.Thanks, Hookie

Now thats damn sad. Over here I have heard of this Deer Creek company and it has been well praised. Friend of mine was stateside last year and rabbitted on about it on his arrivel back. but its not on the net sadly......would love to see there rifles, but not to be. Cheers Hookie

Your'e right Jumpshot we can lessen the loads in a.45. Our Armourer tells us for 50 metre .45 target shooting 30 grains is OK. I was told Deer Creek make a nice Kentucky or similar Longrifle..I have no idea as to their price. Hookie

They don't make a Kentucky of their own. The one you're thinking of that they sell is the Traditions Kentucky (mentioned above), $199 for the kit, available in .45 and .50, single trigger, two-piece stock (you can see the brass spacer in the middle) keeps the price down...
tk2np8.jpg

This one's a little clearer...
kyrs0.jpg

For the .45 percussion kit, the item # is KR-5225.

The Traditions .45 would be a good choice. It has a single trigger to teach proper trigger control and can be loaded light to keep recoil from being a problem.

I built one of the CVA versions for my wife back in the early eighties. She is a small woman and did not like the rifle to be so muzzle heavy. When I built it, I took six inches off the end and replaced the nose cap with a shallow crescent. She loved it.

Mike 2005, Cheers mate and thanks for that.
You mention CVA; I dont seem to be able to find where they supply 'traditional' firearms. There is plenty of todays new rifles but the older style seem to have vanished. You got an net site????? Hookie

Back