• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 for small game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Seneca or other "mini" Hawken style to hunt small game with. I'm also stuck on perc or flint, leaning tward perc just due to the style.

What are the thoughts on this? Any other makes that have hooked breach half stock out there? Also going to be making my Moutain Man era stuff out of my kills, so I don't want to blow up my critters. Any pointers on this would be great. I've looked into this many years ago and forgotten much of it haha.

My wife has a Seneca .36. They are great rifles if you can find one. I have a .36 flinter that has taken lots of rabbits and other smaller critters.

With 30 grains of powder it will punch a hole straight through and not blow them up if you hit them in the upper body. I usually go for the head and it will mess that up but you don't want to eat that anyway.

CVA Bobcat 36 is about 150$ delivered from Midsouth last I checked. Single trigger big trigger guard cheap gun. Mine will drive tacks at 30 yards with 000 buck and prelubed patches.
Tradition's has a 32 on sale that is pretty much the same gun for about the same money.
That is about all of the halfstock hook breach guns out there right now that I know of unless you want to spend some real money.

I've taken SG up to coyotes with the 32's and 36's at appropriate ranges. Shot placement is the key both in making clean kills and preserving the fur or meat like with anything else.

You'll like the Cherokee's or Seneca's if you can find either and will pay their toll. Most nice ones I've seen were 300-450 though (paid in that range for the LNIB 32 Cherokee I have). I also have a pair of 70's CVA Squirrels in 32 and 36 that are great little rifles too if you can find them - much nicer than the Bobcat. Mine were 160 and 290, the 36 more as it was LNIB. Also, one of my Hawkens is a switcher that has 36, 45 and 50 barrels and both locks - that may be an option for you as well if you can live with a bigger and heavier small bore.

As Runner said, it comes down to out-of-pocket, and some effort looking. HTH

I have $325 in a .36 Seneca caplock that had a few scratches in the wood. Great gun and I think that you are on the right path.

CS

I have a Crockett .32 and although it has a tang the barrel is easy to remove and clean I would not worry about that at all. Just one screw and the wedge pin and you are on your way. The styling is fine and the tang actually adds to make it look more PC.

I would try to find one at a retailer my mail order one wasn't the pick of the litter but I will not send it back fearing the fixes will be worse than the blemishes it has. Besides I have other guns that are uglier than a cusk I will never get rid of and this gun is real purty.

Oh, they shoot great too!!.

I've been a closet hawken-aholic for many years and I'm comming out!!! I have had many full stock, military, and what not's but always seem to stick with all my Hawken clones. So why fight it, I'm going with it, MINE ALL MINE!!!

Ok calming down... Saving up for the few good Hawken books out there (incase santa don't get the hint), so I can tweek the .36 I find to be a Mini-Hawken. Haha anything else I'll ad later haha.

A wonderful rifle a Seneca is, but a Hawken it ain't. It is more of a NorthEastern sporting gun.

CS

My first muzzleloader was a .36 Seneca that I got for $150 as a display model from a sporting goods shop that was getting out of the firearms business. Best deal I have ever been involved in. I still own and shoot this gun. Best loading is 35 grains pyrodex P with .350 PRB. This is a little hotter loading than is required for small game but it is what the gun likes best. It will shoot through the same hole off sand bags at 50 yards. It has always outperformed me. If I miss I can’t blame the gun. If you can find one in good condition at a reasonable price, I would grab it. With the loading in my gun I would consider it lethal for all small game but with squirrels and rabbits that you want to use for clothing and decoration just know that the .350 ball can do considerable damage to a pelt. I find that my gun will neatly remove the head of a squirrel at 25 yards. Great for cleaning game and preserving meat, unless you fancy the brains, but not so good if you want to tan the hide with the head on. As you get to the larger critters like possum and raccoon, this caliber would be ideal. I have never shot a coyote with my Seneca but would most likely shot a conical for that.

Depending upon the shot available, I was actually going for center body shots since the head, shoulder and hindquarters were often left in good shape. Ribs and back offer little food value anyway.

CS

I like back, don't like brains. the chest shot would leave more usable hide. :bow:

I always head shoot them. It makes for easier cleaning as well and the squirrels don't complain.

This has me thinking what I might replace my Seneca with, God forbid I were to loose it. Seems like most manufacturers are dropping the production of traditional sidelocks for the in-lines. Most that still produce the traditional style only make them in big game calibers. Did a little research, these are full stock, but similar in size and weight to the Seneca. Otherwise, I would look at custom or used at gun shows.
[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=5911 http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=11589 http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=4109[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you already have a TC Hawken or Renegade you can buy a .36 Green River drop in barrel from Pecatonica to get you through while you search for a Seneca.

Green Mountain no longer offers a .36 but they still list the .32. I would imagine the weight would be a little on the heavy side compared to a Seneca but it would get you shooting until something better comes along.

Back