• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 PEPPERBOX with extras

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked this pepperbox up from Maddman. It looks brand new, the barrels are perfect, the brass is unscathed. It is manually indexed with an indexing one way ratcheting plate. The pins holding the hammer and trigger have roller style bearing inserts to keep the wear off the pins. The body is one piece of solid hard brass machined and polished. It seems a very well thought out build. There are no markings or stamps anywhere on the piece, so I am guessing this was a build project, likely someone with a nice machine shop or access to one. It weighs in at a light 2#4oz. (Yup, redefines a "chunk gun) I normally clean & lube anything new I get, but when this one arrived it was spotless. Maddman sent a nice custom handmade holster, 200 .350 Hornady balls and a new package of pre-cut cotton patches with it. I will try and get it to the range sometime today.
20181124_071323.jpg
20181124_071336.jpg
20181124_071356.jpg
20181124_071415.jpg
20181124_071433.jpg
20181124_071743.jpg

Classic Arms pepperbox from the late 70's/early 80's. Mine doesn't have any markings but came factory built. They were also avaliable as a kit. These were of reasonable quality and not junk like the much later offerings. Have fun and let us know how well it shoots.

When you shoot it, don't be surprised if it fires more than one barrel with one squeeze of the trigger.

Chain firing was a common feature on pepperboxes because the caps on the barrels next to the one that is being fired have that shield over them.
It directs the flash from the firing barrel over to the caps on the other barrels.

Well, got this thing to the range and put some rounds through it.
I reloaded it 6 or seven times, and discovered that one barrel just did not go bang as it should every time.
I would move the nipple from the barrel beside it and then it would fire. Bad nipple....
After the day was done and I got home for cleaning, I discovered that the nipple on the non performing barrel had been shortened and sharpened. It looked like all the nipples had been monkeyed with, so I just ordered a full set of replacement nipples.
Other that that, it is completely functional, although not very accurate. With the top mounted hammer, it's nore of a "point and shoot" kind of gun. It is a whole lot of fun. Recoil is almost nonexistent with 15-20 grains of powder. I did not experience any chain fires or multiple barrels going off. I think the design of the pathway from nipple to flash channel helps keep the pressure down. All but a few caps stayed in place after firing, no signs of runaway pressure.
While there, I took the opportunity to put a few more rounds through the Lyman .54 pistol. What a joy to shoot!
Distance to the target for today was about 15 yards.
It was 65 degress warm, light breeze and a beautiful day to be outside.
This is one of the targets from the day, I shot at the head with the pepperbox and the X with the 54 Lyman.
20181124_105403.jpg

Well, got this thing to the range and put some rounds through it.
I reloaded it 6 or seven times, and discovered that one barrel just did not go bang as it should every time.
I would move the nipple from the barrel beside it and then it would fire. Bad nipple....
After the day was done and I got home for cleaning, I discovered that the nipple on the non performing barrel had been shortened and sharpened. It looked like all the nipples had been monkeyed with, so I just ordered a full set of replacement nipples.
Other that that, it is completely functional, although not very accurate. With the top mounted hammer, it's nore of a "point and shoot" kind of gun. It is a whole lot of fun. Recoil is almost nonexistent with 15-20 grains of powder. I did not experience any chain fires or multiple barrels going off. I think the design of the pathway from nipple to flash channel helps keep the pressure down. All but a few caps stayed in place after firing, no signs of runaway pressure.
While there, I took the opportunity to put a few more rounds through the Lyman .54 pistol. What a joy to shoot!
Distance to the target for today was about 15 yards.
It was 65 degress warm, light breeze and a beautiful day to be outside.
This is one of the targets from the day, I shot at the head with the pepperbox and the X with the 54 Lyman.
View attachment 986

Seeing as the pepperbox was only meant for close in self defence Griz, I think you did very well.
Keith.

I think those shoot better from the hip, than trying to point it. I have one and still have not got it to work right. Hammer does not want to hit the nipple hard enough. Yes I've taken it apart three million times. If I get a hard enough hammer strike, it's almost impossible to pull the trigger. :) But I like it. !!!

I think those shoot better from the hip, than trying to point it. I have one and still have not got it to work right. Hammer does not want to hit the nipple hard enough. Yes I've taken it apart three million times. If I get a hard enough hammer strike, it's almost impossible to pull the trigger. :) But I like it. !!!
I have a pair of Belgium pistols that had that issue. I used a drill bit slightly larger that the nipple hole and drilled the nipple to sharpen the edge from the inside leaving the outside the correct size for the nipple. It was an effective cure.

Latest posts

Back