• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundballs verses Conicals..??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You pointed out in the video that your rifle had a coned muzzle. When I got my coning tools from Joe Woods he cautioned that a coned muzzle would not work with conicals. That might be the problem with the lack of accuracy with the conicals.

I was expecting to see a valid test.
1. The title on You tube was "Roundballs verses Sabots Which Shoots Better?" in it. This was not a sabot bullet .
2. The caliber of the bullet wasn't known at the beginning of the video.
3. The bullet wasn't even lubed which it should have been and undoubtedly caused powder and lead fouling issues.
4. The conical was hitting to the right. So what, shoot a group on paper with a real bench setup with both and measure them.

I shoot roundballs btw.

I was expecting to see a valid test.
1. The title on You tube was "Roundballs verses Sabots Which Shoots Better?" in it. This was not a sabot bullet .
2. The caliber of the bullet wasn't known at the beginning of the video.
3. The bullet wasn't even lubed which it should have been and undoubtedly caused powder and lead fouling issues.
4. The conical was hitting to the right. So what, shoot a group on paper with a real bench setup with both and measure them.

I shoot roundballs btw.
Video shows how little I know about shooting conicals.
I didn't know to lube them, coned barrels affects accuracy, etc.
I'm just an ol' round ball shooter & had the opportunity to try something different.
I quickly found out conicals aren't for me.
I'll stick with those ol' cool round balls too.

You pointed out in the video that your rifle had a coned muzzle. When I got my coning tools from Joe Woods he cautioned that a coned muzzle would not work with conicals. That might be the problem with the lack of accuracy with the conicals.
Probably so even though that barrel only coned about 1" in the barrel.

Needs lubing as well but I prefer prb myself they seem to shoot better and are more fun for me.
I like the fun you have in your videos too many people take themselves too seriously.
This is a fun thing to do may as well let it show.
😁
Amen brother, I agree.
If anyone watches the BPMS channel very often,
they know I'll try shooting about anything that's unusual and safe.
I prefer the PBR too.

I shoot only conicals and all of my rifles (1:48) are coned. If there was any fall off of accuracy i haven't detected it and the deer haven't noticed either.

Latest posts

Back