• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3rd Mod Dragoon, hot cap between fingers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heelerau

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am shooting a 3rd mod Dragoon cross draw strong rh, I carry a Navy on the rhs. I get one cap dropping either between my palm or between the web of my trigger and ring finger ( I am typing with 3 nice blisters from last nights practise) I suspect it may be coming from the one cone I have to pinch the cap to stay on. I guess a new set of cones, or I cut the trigger finger out of one of my old roping gloves. Any suggestions other than toughen up princess !! will be most welcome.

Cheers

Heelerau

Harden up ya sook :grin: same thing happens to me quite a lot with my 2nd Dragoon and Navies, probably more the caps than the nipples and just part of the magic and fun .

With a tight fitting nipple you may be less likely to get a whole cap, but you are still likely to get shards. I like it when hot pieces are impaled in my knuckles, makes me feel like a real man.

Funnily enough, I don't ever have this problem with the Navy or the old Remington !!

Cheers

Heelerau

If you're not using them already, try #10 size caps and see if this doesn't help.

You didn't say what size caps your using but if you have to pinch them to get them to stay on the nipple cone, I'm betting they are #11's.

Try some #10's if you can find them.

If the #10's and #11's are too loose you can buy some new nipples.

These are available in #11 sizes so you won't have to go hunting for #10"s (which can be hard to find). :)
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate am using no 10s, I had to dress the cones and took a bit much off one !! It is a whole cap and not a frag, so will look to see about getting some new ones. I will use the modified roping glove until then.

Cheers all

Heelerau

Italians are capable of producing some fine revolvers. Nevertheless, they seem, over the years, to never have developed even marginal skill or proficiency in building precision nipples.

Get set of the best: Treso/Ampco nipples. They are all uniform dimensions and actually function as intended. I use them in My 2nd Model Dragoon, as well as several Remingtons and other Colts.

Many Retailers carry them, but http://www.jedediah-starr.com/ has the best selection of anyone, ships quick, and prices are reasonable.

I actually scrounged together a working set of Pietta Nipples, but it took sets from several cylinders to be able to match up a set of same dimensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is only one nipple that's too lose, try dry firing on that one only. It will probably upset it enough to hold the cap until you can get replacements. Or you could do like the old timers did and only load 5 cylinders.

Mate
I will give upsetting the cone a try,then get some new ones later on. thanks

cheers

heelerau

All but one of my Percussion Colts use #10 Remington and Slix Shot nipples. All have a cap rake which solves the cap fragments in the hammer channel.
One 1'5 Navy has the Treso/ Ampco nipples and work well with remington#10 caps.
Original factory nipples and that horrible main spring all go into the trash can.
YMMV
Bunk

Back