• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 ca. maiden hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbowling

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Took the .40 cal. out on its maiden hunt this morning, got in the woods around 7:20 and was done by 9am...took 6 shots and killed 4 squirrels 3 grays and a fox squirrel...I will say this the .40 is definetly not squirrel friendly, it will pretty much clean them for you on any type of body hit, my eyes are not good enough to see them when they are 100 ft up in a giant shagbark or pig hickory so its pretty much put the bead on the center mass high and hope for the best...did head shoot the fox squirrel as he gave me a side profile where I could see his head real good..
it is definetly a very accurate gun with the Green Mountain barrel but going to have to work up a lighter load then the 40 gr. of fffg I was using...going to try my .32 next time with scope so I can be a little more accurate on the head shooting.

2ibdqab.jpg
[/img]

Thanks for sharing this with us OPTIMASHOOTER!!!

Looks like you had a fine hunt, and those Parke county squirrels taste mighty fine. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief

with a muzzle loader any shot is a head shot. we even made some .25 cal. barrels and even that would rip them in half.

Nicely done! I use 20 grains of 3fg in my .32 and it still tears them up pretty good with a body hit. You live in a pretty place. Were you hunting near the Turkey Run State Park? I always liked stopping at the Gobbler's Knob store, is it still in business? I know about those places because I am a displaced Hoosier, (Cass and Carrol counties), and I have a son that lives in Vigo county. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry took so long to reply, forgot about this thread.. was hunting south of Rockville and yes Gobblers Knob is still open.. I used to live down the road from Turkey Run about 3 miles and squirrel hunted in that area a lot.

Back