• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal for deer and squirrel both?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello,

im looking into getting the all around gun that is a rifle that i can use for squirrel,deer,coon,rabbit,ground hogs. im wanting a .40 cal because you can use it for deer. is a .40 cal too much for a squirrel? im thinking i want it in flintlock for fun. i would have tvm build it for me. so please post pics of any ideas or kills you have got with your .40 cal.

thanks aaron

I'm sure Spot will post many photos he got of deer with his .40 this year. I am assuming it's legal for deer in your state, right? Because I know it's not in mine. Our big Illinois deer I guess need a larger ball to bring 'em down :hmm: .

the caliber of the bullet legal for a deer in ohio is .38 or bigger. has anyone had trouble with the smaller .40 cal vs a .50 cal?

If it is not legal in your state for a 40 I use a 45 with great success on deer and squirrel. deer I use 72 grain of 3f powder squirrel load is 15 grain same point of aim

thomp shooter said:
"...looking into getting the all around gun that is a rifle that i can use for squirrel,deer,coon,rabbit,ground hogs. im wanting a .40 cal because you can use it for deer.
is a .40 cal too much for a squirrel? im thinking i want it in flintlock for fun.

And while I know you mentioned "rifle"...just to share additional information, and excellent general purpose alternative is a .54cal(.28ga) Flint smoothbore.
Great versatility for all sorts of small game with shot loads, including turkey where rifles often cannot be used...and the .54cal ball is deadly on deer sized game, basically as accurate as a rifle for deer hunting in thick woods where shots are in the 35-60 yard range.

Hey there thomp shooter,

I have used a .40 for deer and squirrel with some success, but I'll be the first to tell you that it isn't the ideal caliber for either. It's a serviceable caliber for both, but you have to pick your shots - every single one of them - very carefully. I pass on more shots than I take.

I got into it because I liked the idea of one rifle that could do everything I normally do - basically everything from squirrels to whitetail deer.

On squirrels, the .40 is devastating. That was what convinced me to try it on deer in the first place. You really do want to try for head shots on small game.

On deer, it's boiler room or nothing for me. The deer has to be calm and close. It's best to keep the same mentality as a bowhuunter when you're carrying a smaller bore deer rifle like the .40. Only one of my shots at a deer was over 30 yards, and I won't take one beyond 50 (I use an old-fashioned parallax range finder to identify trees or other landmarks at my max ranges when I first set up, so I don't have to make those decisions with deer in front of me).

I am extremely lucky in my hunting situation in that I have a lot of private land available to me right here at home. I was lucky enough to get four whitetails this fall, all within walking distance of my house. If I could only hunt a few times per year, or if I had to drive a couple of hours to get to my hunting area, I probably wouldn't choose a .40.

Since you're considering the same thing I was, that being one caliber you could use for both large and small game, I would look more toward what the largest caliber is that I could use for small game, rather than the smallest caliber I could use for large game. That's what I did.

A smoothbore is an excellent option, too. You could easily take deer at the same ranges as with the .40, and not have to worry about blowing half your squiirel away. :haha:

Good luck with it, whatever you decide, and please do keep us posted. TVM will build an excellent gun for you.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Not trying to sway you or anything but if it were me I'd get a .45. Sure it will be a little big on squirrels but will be a nice deer rifle. Plus a .45 would be better than squirrel hunting with my .50 :shocked2: That's the only rifle caliber I've hunted squirrels with. I'm pondering getting a used squirrel rifle though :hmm:

WheN I get the 40 I would sell my Crockett rifle just throwing that out there. But not till feburary. Is there much differnce between a 45 and a 40 for a deer.

I've never hunted deer with anything but a .50. But from the guys I've talked to that hunt with .45s they don't take the shots as careful as you have to be with a .40.

Thomp; from your previous post, i assume your from here in Ohio. I'm in the west central area. As far as i'm concerned, you're good to go with the 40cal. I've used mine for 5 seasons now and find it perfectly adequate for sqwerls and whitetails. Some will say a 40cal is to big for sqwerls, but a 36cal is not. I've killed sqwerls with a 36cal for 35yrs now and damage is the same. Head shots are preferred of course but that's just not possible. I nearly always get a shoulder some where in the shot. A busted shoulder is still busted, even with a 22 short, and i will not fool with bone shrapnel in meat. In fact, holding for the shoulder reduces wounding potential. I shoot 20gr-3f and the 36cal and 25gr-3f in the 40cal, for small game. Deer hunting with 40cal is not for people who HAVE to kill a deer to feel good. It's a precision caliber that has cleanly taken several whitetails for me. My shots have been from 35yd to 70yds with 50gr-3f PRB. I admit that 70yds is stretching it, but even that shot was a pass through, double lunger. She only went 30yds. I offer these thoughts as (boots on the ground)proof that it's not so much the caliber that counts as it is woodsmanship and marksmanship. Buzzard

i have a 40 and shoot only squirrels. I only shoot 35 grains of bp and wo :hmm: rks quite well.

:thumbsup: I fully agree .40 is fully capable, just know and respect your abilities and your gun's limitations!

thomp shooter said:
hello,

im looking into getting the all around gun that is a rifle that i can use for squirrel,deer,coon,rabbit,ground hogs. im wanting a .40 cal because you can use it for deer. is a .40 cal too much for a squirrel? im thinking i want it in flintlock for fun. i would have tvm build it for me. so please post pics of any ideas or kills you have got with your .40 cal.

thanks aaron

I know this is a tad off your line of thought but in my opinion there is no such thing as an "all around" anything... say you wanted an "all around vehicle" you know something you could haul a 1/2 ton of hay in, load up 6 family members to go to church, put the top down and sprint the curves at 90mph, something that would tow a 36' trailor and do 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds.

My point is you want TWO guns... a squirl/varmint gun AND a deer/big game gun.

I would suggest a .36 for squirls, coon, rabbit, plinking, etc and a .54 for deer and other big game. I NEVER make fun of money BUT you can buy a used caplock (that is good enough) for $200.00-ish.

SO... Order the gun that you want MOST from TVM and then get a second gun untill you can order a second (or buy a nicer one some other way)

I live where there is lots of fishing.. 6oz bluegill to 50lb salmon and the chance of a 8 foot sturgeon... and sometime a person will ask about an "all around fish pole"... It just dont exist. :wink:

Just :2

Back