• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal for deer and squirrel both?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wattsy said:
thomp shooter said:
hello,

I know this is a tad off your line of thought but in my opinion there is no such thing as an "all around" anything... say you wanted an "all around vehicle" you know something you could haul a 1/2 ton of hay in, load up 6 family members to go to church, put the top down and sprint the curves at 90mph, something that would tow a 36' trailor and do 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds.

My point is you want TWO guns... a squirl/varmint gun AND a deer/big game gun.

I would suggest a .36 for squirls, coon, rabbit, plinking, etc and a .54 for deer and other big game. I NEVER make fun of money BUT you can buy a used caplock (that is good enough) for $200.00-ish.

SO... Order the gun that you want MOST from TVM and then get a second gun untill you can order a second (or buy a nicer one some other way)

I live where there is lots of fishing.. 6oz bluegill to 50lb salmon and the chance of a 8 foot sturgeon... and sometime a person will ask about an "all around fish pole"... It just dont exist. :wink:

Just :2

I totally agree. Work overtime, get a second job but you will be alot better off with two rifles, a small game rifle ( .32 or .36 ) and a big game rifle ( .50 or .54 ). Anything worth having is worth working for. Just my two cents.

Back