• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal. Kibler SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 40 cal. Kibler SMR ; also a 54 cal Lyman hawken riffle. Both are flintlocks. My eyes are getting too bad to shoot open sights. And I will not put a scope on a flintlock.

Attachments

• IMG_20240530_193132016.jpg
    IMG_20240530_193132016.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240530_193120124.jpg
    IMG_20240530_193120124.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240530_193035960.jpg
    IMG_20240530_193035960.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240530_193044139.jpg
    IMG_20240530_193044139.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
About the eyes; I was in the same boat as you before I had cataract surgery, I bought a Kibler SMR kit, put it together and found with the standard sight placement the rear sight was just a blur so I sold it.

I had built 4 other flintlocks and always put the rear sight WAY down the barrel, on these guns the rear sight still wasn't clear but I could see it enough to shoot.

One day i was out in my shop tinkering and thought I would make a simple peep sight for my #1 deer rifle. After a whole day of cutting, filing and bending I had a peep I could try out.

I started with this;

peep start.jpg

And ended up with this;

peep done mounted.JPG

When I shot my rifle with this peep if felt like I was cheating, the sights and the target were as clear a bell, I hadn't seen a clear rear sight in over 20 years.

You can buy these tang mounted peeps, the commercial ones look a lot better than what I hacked out. This may correct you vision problem.

I have had cataract surgery since I made my peep and can see my sights now.

About the eyes; I was in the same boat as you before I had cataract surgery, I bought a Kibler SMR kit, put it together and found with the standard sight placement the rear sight was just a blur so I sold it.

I had built 4 other flintlocks and always put the rear sight WAY down the barrel, on these guns the rear sight still wasn't clear but I could see it enough to shoot.

One day i was out in my shop tinkering and thought I would make a simple peep sight for my #1 deer rifle. After a whole day of cutting, filing and bending I had a peep I could try out.

I started with this;

View attachment 324281

And ended up with this;

View attachment 324282

When I shot my rifle with this peep if felt like I was cheating, the sights and the target were as clear a bell, I hadn't seen a clear rear sight in over 20 years.

You can buy these tang mounted peeps, the commercial ones look a lot better than what I hacked out. This may correct you vision problem.

I have had cataract surgery since I made my peep and can see my sights now.
Thank you

when using a peep sight like this are u leaving the rear sight on the rifle?

I co witness my sights , I leave the rear sight on and look through the peep( or ghost ring) the ring/peep acts as a clarifier sharping up my sight picture (making things appear clear like a pin hole camera does) great for older eyes only a problem in low light
DSC03398.JPG
there is no reason that you can't use without/as your rear sight or get the folding sight from mr hawk

I have peep sights on several rifles, mostly old centerfire, I got my first in 1980. Amazing how much they help. You're correct, I lose about an hour of hunt, so I just watch after I can't see the sights.
If you enlarge the aperture a little you should be able to see better in low light conditions and it will increase your hunting time, not decrease it.

Back