• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLDBRO

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What say you all using a 40 cal? Any one suggest 50 and up being a better choice?

I suppose you are talking about deer hunting?

If so, then the .50 is a better choice. A bigger ball is always better. You can kill an elk with a .243, but it's dead faster with a 30-06.

I have never used anything smaller than a .50 for any big game hunting. Some do with good results. Just not my choice.

Depends on where you are too.
If he's talking deer, some states have min. caliber requirements.
Here, it's .45.
Check your book.

Not big enough legally here in NY or below in PA. But then a 100 lb whitetail Alabama deer is not a 300 lb Maine whitetail deer or a 80 yard distant 250 lb mule deer.

I'm sure with the right shot it will do, but the .50 or even .54 is a better caliber IMHO. Nice to have a margin in case you meet a twig that wasn't apparant when you pulled the trigger or should the deer move suddenly and the shot hits in a less than ideal spot.

Personally I find that the .54 is "optimal....But then you know what they say about opinions.. :wink:

I agree with the others. Took a nice 8pt last year with my .40 flintlock but probably won't use it again. Assembled a .54 flinter for this year. Already have a .50 per-suction gun and wanted a .54 anyway.

TC

Latest posts

Back