• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 caliber load for GM barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowmaker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Expecting to get my .40 GM replacement barrel for TC Hawken flintlock any time now. All I have dealt with up to this point is .45 and .54, and neither is a GM barrel. I would like some pointers on where to start working up a load. Is 2F or 3F best? What ball and patch combinations have some of you had good luck with?

Any help would be appreciated, and I'm sure I'll get a wide range of responses.

Bowmaker,
Mine is percussion, but..
have had good success and groups using .395 balls, .015 and .014 patches over 38 grains of 3F

have not used over 40 grains as results have been excellent.

Brett

I just started shooting mine last week, but so far it looks like .395 balls, pillow ticking patching, and 35 grains of 3F is gonna work fine.
The last 25 yard 3-shot group I shot when sighting it in could be covered with a nickel.

So far, sounds like 3F - I was thinking I would have to use that. Of course, I only have 2F on hand. Maybe I can find some before the barrel arrives.

Thanks for the responses, I'll keep an eye on this to see what the general consensus is.

I don't think you HAVE to use 3F, but 2F is generally recommended for .50 calibers and up.
I grabbed the wrong can and shot several shots with 2F in my .40 flinter last week and it worked fine. I did notice my groups tighten a little after I switched to the 3F, but the barrel is new and the better groups could've been because the barrel was just getting fouled up a little. :hmm:
I would shoot the 2F if it was all I had, but I would prefer the 3F.

You can shoot 2fg, but like others said, 3fg is better in the small bores--it won't hurt to try it. I like 40 gr of 3fg and a .395 ball in my .40 (I don't know the maker, it is a custom tapered barrel about 37" long). The old time rifle powder was close to 2fg, so our ancestors did Ok with it. Generally speaking you rifle ought to group well with plenty of ooompf at between 35 and 45 gr 3fg.

Try using up to 45 grains of FFg in that flintlock .40 cal. It should shoot well, and ignition will be good. With the smaller caliber guns, I believe its advisable to wipe the barrel between shots, simply because any residue's effect on loading the next round is magnified by the smaller diameter of the bore. I use a lightly dampened patch and if its humid out, then a dry patch to make sure I have not left a crud ring to stop my next ball from seating on the powder properly. Remember to open a hole in the main charge with a vent pick run through the vent before priming the pan, and you should have consistently fast ignition. That is always required for accuracy.

Bowmaker-does GM now offer a 40 cal flint TC replacement barrel or did they have to make it up special for you? I'm asking because I'm thinking of ordering one. thanks

I got a tip from Roundball, and got in touch with Cains Outdoor in West Virginia. Apparently, GM is making a run of 40 caliber percussion barrels. These guys must have some pull with GM, because they were going to have them pull one of the barrels and replace the breech plug with a flint version. I'm anxious to get it.

I placed the order on 9/14, and they said it would likely be six weeks before it was ready. I also asked to not blue it so I could brown it.

aap2 said:
Thanks; a 40 cal flint Hawken sounds like a great idea.
I received mine a couple weeks ago, but they had used a remanufactured/repaird breechplug with a "helicoil" screwed into the vent threads, and the vent liner then screwed into that...refused it...had GM pick it up and take it but said they were out of the good plugs.

A couple days later GM called to say they'd found a new spare plug with the properly drilled & tapped threads, offered to install it, reblue, reship, etc if I still wanted the .40cal Flint drop-in for my Hawken...said I did...so it's being rebuilt...think I'll give them a call and see what the status is.

I cast a ball that is .398 and patch it with the thicker of the WalMart pillow ticking.

I would work from 30 grains of Goex 3f to 45 grains while looking for a sweet load.

I tried 2f but do not recall the result. 8 years later, I am still shooting the 40 grain 3f load, so there must not have been a great benefit.

CS

I used 50 gr 3f .400 ball with .012-.015 patch for deer when I hunted with it for several years, took some nice deer out to 50 yds or so, it is a close range gun if leagal in your area.

Back