• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 caliber on deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin Martin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone used .40 caliber muzzleloaders on deer with a roundball(not sure if conicals are even available for .40)? Iwant to get a flintlock in .45 or .40, but I don't know if the .40 is effective on deer.It is legal here in Ohio, but I want to make sure I can get humane kills with one before investing in it.Thanks!

You may get all kinds of opinions on this. The thing to me is really two fold, how good a shooter are you and how good of a hunter are you. I would have absolutely no qualms in taking a deer with a 40cal. But, I always aim to get close and aim for the best bullet placement. Big bullets, IMHO, are not really substitutes for poor shooting.

Benjamin Martin said:
Has anyone used .40 caliber muzzleloaders on deer with a roundball(not sure if conicals are even available for .40)? Iwant to get a flintlock in .45 or .40, but I don't know if the .40 is effective on deer.It is legal here in Ohio, but I want to make sure I can get humane kills with one before investing in it.Thanks!

Deer have been killed with a .22cal bullet in the brain.

That said, a .40cal ball under normal hunting conditions is awfully small, awfully light, etc...and since you're asking, my suggestion would be to get the .45cal.

roundball said:
Benjamin Martin said:

Deer have been killed with a .22cal bullet in the brain.

That said, a .40cal ball under normal hunting conditions is awfully small, awfully light, etc...and since you're asking, my suggestion would be to get the .45cal.

Like roundball said, but make a bigger jump to a 50, or even a 54.

I've killed a couple deer with my 38 cal, but I passed up 4-5 deer to do it. You have to limit your range 30 yards or less... Plus you can't just shoot'em in the ribs and expect them to flop down. The deer were both shot behind the ear and never even twitched. 45 is a little better but not much of a deer rifle passed 50 yards. 50/54 are what you need.

I have seen deer killed with the .40, .45 , 50, and .54. The first two calibers were used at pretty close ranges, under 40 yds. I have killed deer with my .50, and have seen a deer killed with the .54. Mine have been under 50 yds. But, I like to stalk and get close. For long shots, of 100 yds, or more, I would recommend a .54 or larger caliber gun. The weight of a Round Ball is a limiting factor, and the .54 and greater calibers give you the extra weight, or mass, to reach out and still penetrate a deer at over 100 yds. reliably. Considering the trajectories of all BP PRB loads, you would have to know your yardage exactly to take the change on a neck shot at 100 yds, or further, using open sights. The .40 will kill at that range, but you want to break the neck, just like at short range. The ball just does not weigh enough to have much punch at 100 yds, and beyond.

You'd think sized, lead pistol bullets might work as conicals in a .40, but gettin' one with a twist that'll stabilize them may be difficult. :hmm:

A wadcutter .41 bullet might be short enough to stabilize, but then using it beyond 50 yds would be a problem, as they were not intended to be shot at longer ranges. If you can find a light weight, and hence, short .41 bullet, it might give good accuracy in that rifle.

The nice part of shooting PRB in BP rifles is that you get away from leading in the barrel. Seems to me that using a cast pistol bullet would create real problems. Usually, the rifling is too deep for even a soft bullet to expand into and seal the bore, so you have to use an over powder wad, or filler under the bullet. Then there is the issue of aligning the bullet in the barrel so it is straight. If you use a false muzzle for loading, its no problem. However, I don't think I would want to have to drag a false muzzle into the field for my reload. The next thing would be to cone the muzzle, so that the bullet is aligned and centered as it enters the bore. You would have to change the coning for a cast bullet, by elongating the seating portion of the cone, so that the entire length of the bullet would be in the muzzle before the taper would begin the centering. That would allow you to use a good steel rod, with a muzzle protector to help center the bullet as it is pushed down through the cone into the rifling. You still would want to use pure lead, and the diameter would need to be .001" over the bore diameter.

If you had access to a .40 cal. bullet, you might be able to Paper patch it, and eliminate leading that way. Again, the portion of the bullet that makes contact with the rifling would have to be short, so that the bullet would stabilize in the round ball Rate of Twist. But it could be done.

If your choice is between a .40 or .45, go with the .45. As others have said, you can take a deer with a .22 if you hit it just right at close range (a friend did just that one time from a tree), but a .40 is a small, light ball. In many if not most states the .40 is not legal for deer (and probably should not be in any). The fact that it IS legal in your state doesn't make it a good choice. My .45 is the most accurate rifle I own and is economical to shoot [and I have a .40 as well as a .32, .50, .54 and .62]. If I was primarily going for deer I would move up to a .50 or .54, but the .45 will do.

I used a .40 for a few seasons with PRB and it worked very well but I suggest 40-50 yd. shots as there is not much poop in the small pill, just think archery and you will do well with the .40 and before stepping into the woods accept the fact that you will probably have to let some nice ones walk by at ranges the .50 and .54 would easily take them.

I took a button buck, less than 15 yards running towards me, here in Ohio this past ML season using a .40 cal GM drop-in for my Renegade. It shoots great with PRB over 60 gr 777 FFF. I used my own patches and lube. But, I was not extremely picky of what I shot and was very glad of no opportunity of a big deer, especially beyond 40 yards. That was my personal range limit. If my .32 cal were legal here, I would give it a try with maxiballs. My suggestion would be to go bigger if it is your primary deer ML, to even a .50 or .54 cal. As stated before, the .45 might be a better venison-getter than the .40, but it will work for you. The .40 is fun to shoot and very inexpensive. I finally got some real BP this Spring and plan on using my .40, along with the .32 during our squirrel season this coming fall. I don't have a flinter yet but when I do, it'll be in a .45

Ben,
Both the .40 and .45 are legal in Ohio.
Anything .38 and above is legal for deer in
the Buckeye state. Given the choice and even
though the .40 is a very accurate caliber, I
would still go with the .45, mainly because that
is what I use and have been very happy with its
results. Just my opinion.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

The .40 is a favorite size of those who are into serious target shooting. Many will tell you it is the most accurate calibre in a round ball. I have talked with some of these .40 shooters at Friendship and several say they regularly hunt deer with their .40's. Now bare in mind, these are guys who fully understand the limitations of their firearm and can hit a bottle cap at 50 yrds. off hand with it. Since I am not that kind of shooter, the .50 or .54 are my choices for deer.

J.R. said:
The .40 is a favorite size of those who are into serious target shooting. Many will tell you it is the most accurate calibre in a round ball. I have talked with some of these .40 shooters at Friendship and several say they regularly hunt deer with their .40's. Now bare in mind, these are guys who fully understand the limitations of their firearm and can hit a bottle cap at 50 yrds. off hand with it. Since I am not that kind of shooter, the .50 or .54 are my choices for deer.
:grin:
Regardless of caliber...the only way I'd hit a bottle cap at 50yds offhand would be by a pure stroke of[url] luck...in[/url] fact, I'm not sure I could SEE a bottle cap at 50yds
:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottle cap, WHAT bottle cap. :shocked2:
LOL, I'm as blind as a bat too so don't feel bad. That's why I'm going smoothbore, to keep my shots short. :thumbsup:

Thanks all.I think you've talked me int trying a .45 instead of a .40.Just didn't want a .50.I want something a little different than the average Joe has, although I think anything that is not an inline probably fills that gap.But I also want something that is effective on deer.Thanks again!

Benjamin Martin said:
Thanks all.I think you've talked me int trying a .45 instead of a .40.Just didn't want a .50.I want something a little different than the average Joe has, although I think anything that is not an inline probably fills that gap.But I also want something that is effective on deer.Thanks again!
I've accumulated a few calibers over the years but love the .45...always seem to come back to it...will deer hunt with one again this year but usually carry it when I'm hunting a stand in thick woods where the max distance I can see is only 50-60yds anyway...good luck

Back