• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40cal, B-wt barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don B

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm considering building a longrifle with a 42" 40 cal B-weight Rice barrel. It will be used for offhand shooting at targets and squirels. Do you think I'll be happy with the handling of the rifle? Or would it feel too muzzle heavy due to the small hole in the B profile barrel?

The same barrel is also available up to .54. Since the barrel weight difference from .40 to .54 must be significant, I wonder how they can all be built into rifles that are nice to shoot.

Don

Balance is more important that barrel weight, for off-hand shooting. I think you are going to have to try out the barrel length before the gun is finished to see if its too muzzle heavy for YOU! I can tell you that most barrels that length feel too muzzle heavy for me, but that has to do with how I stand, and hold a rifle for off-hand shooting. I don't ever ask anyone to shoot my way. My brother just made a .40 cal. flinter with a 36" barrel, because it balances better for him. He has a .45 with a 37" barrel which balances for him, too. I shoot a .50 cal. rifle with a 39" inch barrel. I chose not to use a longer length on my gun because the guns feel too muzzle heavy for my taste.

If you can get to a good gunshop, and try out various barrel lengths on different guns, you can get a better idea of what will work best for YOU. Its a personal choice, after all.

Don - I have been shooting a 42" 40 caliber B Wt Rice barrel for about 6 months and I cannot say enought positive things about it. At 8.5 lbs its a great shooting platform (York County, Chambers). I put 30 rounds down range yesterday at both 25 and 50 yards, offhand, and only two were out of the black. The point is, there was no fatigue, the caliber is very effective and very easy cleanup.

Richard

I've been shootg a 44" "B" Rice barrel for the last 2 years. It handles great and is my favorite.

Don, Rice is making a B weight in .54? What style name do they call it? Thanks. David.

He made my 44" barrel for me and it's a "Dickert" profile. Mine's also a "C" weight in .54 and the balance is SWEEEET!! My old 42" straight 1" barrel was also a .54 and, while it seemed OK in 1988, by 2000 it seemed to "gain weight" and "lose balance". I'M not getting older, the trees around me are just "getting fatter". :wink:

-Ray

David,

I'm not sure where I thought I saw a Rice B-profile 54cal. I went back to look for it and came up empty. Probably my goof.

Don

Latest posts

Back