• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40cal Lancaster shoots a deer it didn't want to...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Well, I shot a deer I didn’t want to shoot...at almost black dark a Doe stepped out of the overgrown clear-cut into the hard woods about 50yds away.
Had just enough reflected skylight to see the white paint on the front sight...tucked the .40cal Late Lancaster in tight behind her shoulder and dropped her in her tracks.
When I walked over I was disappointed to see the fuzzy lumps on her head...“she” was a little “he” !

But life goes on...I called it in, dropped it off to the needy family I give them to and they were thrilled to get it.
( ”˜oldnamvet’s custom .40cal x 200grn R.E.A.L. slug really does a job on a whitetail )

121912Button-Semi-Buck02Cropped.jpg

Thats a real nice size Doe!! :wink: I wish one like that one would step out in front of me at 50 yrds. :thumbsup: . You do some good shootin' there Roundball if I do say so myself.

First flint lock deer i ever killed was a button buck i thought was a doe and it made me sick but It happens. It will still eat good and I bet those people don't care, just glad to have something to eat.

I'm looking forward to trying some bullets like that in my 40 when I get a chance.

Happens to anyone who shoots does my friend. I christened my fowler one one this year. Good eats and noble hunt.

No matter what we think nowadays. We use old style guns meant for real work including getting food. You got food. Seems a fitting use of that firearm to me!

Well done!

That's a pretty big button! Might not have been the ultimate goal, but not something to concern oneself with too much. You made a perfect shot and got a quick clean kill. The animal is put to good use. Nothing wrong with any of that. Congratulations on a good hunt.

Don't feel bad about it. I think about half the doe taken around here are button bucks. Should be good eating for the family.
Leon

shot one with a bow this year it was with 2 little fawn does It was big enough it though he was a doe. I felt bad but it was a clean kill he went 20 yards.

Did the same thing myself a couple years ago. At distance, or at dark, impossible to tell the difference. Like others have said, you made a nice shot, got a quick kill, and helped out a needy family. No need to feel sick over that.

Jeff

I was on a Doe antelope hunt with my son (it’s a great 1st Big game hunt). My son had his doe & I sat on a slope 45 yards from a doe for 10 min. then walked away. She had a doe face, no check patch, squatted to do her business, but it was the horns (doe antelope can sometimes have 3-6” horns) those 2 little 3” horns. That and the fact that we were camped with 8 wildlife officers on their antelope hunt. :shocked2:

Oh and here in Colorado that would be an antlerless deer, legal on an antlerless (doe) tag.
Any deer with less then (I think it's 5" of antler) is legal on an antlerless tag. Our DOW found it counter porductive to count nubs as bucks.

Oh and here in Colorado that would be an antlerless deer, legal on an antlerless (doe) tag.
Any deer with less then (I think it's 5" of antler) is legal on an antlerless tag. Our DOW found it counter porductive to count nubs as bucks.

Roundball that combo is working REAL good for you and didn't you say that is a round ball twist barrel.

Spikebuck said:
That's a pretty big button!
Yes it is, and when I saw it in the low light at that distance the size just automatically helped make it seem like it was a nanny.
And looking at it close, there's not even a hint of any spots which usually can be seen faintly if they were born in April/May...but he's not big enough to have been a 1.5yr old...guess there was some good genetics involved given the body size for such a young one.

guess there was some good genetics involved given the body size for such a young one.
Done the same thing a few years ago, 'cept it had polished "nubs" (antler started). BUT, also like yours, it will not go wasted. You fed a family with it, good job! :hatsoff:

Hunting in December with a light skim of snow on the ground, and popped a lone doe. I was standing right next to it digging in my pack for accessories and this little spotted fawn wandered out of the bushes and started to nuzzle for milk.

This was December, mind you, and I hadn't seen a spot since October.

What's a guy to do?

Two for the pot, even if one of them would fit entirely into a small pot.

Best eating piece of meat I've ever had. White like veal and just as tender. And sweeeeeeeeet.

shifty said:
Roundball that combo is working REAL good for you and didn't you say that is a round ball twist barrel.
Yes, 38" GM .40cal barrel with typical .40cal - 1:48" twist...a proverbial 'tack-driver' with both PRB and 'oldnamvet's' 200grn R.E.A.L. he had a mold made for.

Nice deer.

Here's something, that I bet few hunters know. If two small deer coming running up to you, and one happens to be in front, it's probably a buck. If the other appears slightly smaller it's probably a doe. I drew a chance to hunt the Radford Arsenal, which is enclosed, thousands of acres. Security is tight and managed by game biologist. Prior to the hunt a lady biologist gave us a briefing, and she told us, if two small deer came to our stands, shoot the one following the first one. She said bucks don't move to following does, until they have visable antlers.

Wished I'd have known that bit of information a week earlier. Two small deer ran up to my tree stand, and I shot the first one with my crossbow, and it was a button buck.

But, in all my years of hunting, I had never heard about this. Of course it could be twin bucks, but I guess the odds are in your favor.

Hey roundball is this bullet the Lee Real bullet design or different, could you show us a picture.I have some conicals for my 32 but have never tried them don't know the brand got them ina plain plastic bag at gun show.they look like t/c maixs.

Back