• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40yd Penetration Test, #6's, .62cal Flint Smoothybore Turkey Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Just need a longbeard to step across the 40yd line...

04/06/07 - Penetration Test - .62cal Turkey Load
16 #6’s through a strong 4” diameter “Tuna Can” at 40 yards
GM 1” x 33” .62cal Flint smoothbore drop-in barrel & TC Hawken stock
80grns Goex 3F
Two Oxyoke wonderwads
1+5/8oz #6’s
Circle Fly OS card

040607-16No.jpg

Old Ford said:
"THAT" is a very impressive pattern, to have 16 hits on a can of 4" at 40 yds. Very impressive!
Your .62 smooth bore will make bad medicine for turkey.
Best Regards
Old Ford
Had it Jug Choked 'Full'...one of the best $60 I ever spent

Hi roundball hope all has been well with you.....
If that blistered that tin can like that at 40 yds. I'd say you will have bird in the oven for sure. Fantastic grouping !!!

Bob Spencer's article was a big help getting me started into this project:
[url] http://members.aye.net/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html[/url]

His load and the Jug Choke work very well together

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a dead bird to me. :thumbsup: Good luck this year Roundball.

snagg

Roundball what effect dose the jug choke have on shooting round ball? Or have you tried it with round ball?
Old Charlie

kyhunter said:
roundball said:
Had it Jug Choked 'Full'...one of the best $60 I ever spent

Who Jug Choked it for you? I like to have mine jug choked.

Lowell Tennyson
209 E Lotte St.
Blue Grass IA. 52726
563-381-3711
[email protected]

$60 + UPS both ways...the Jug Choke in combination with the load info from Bob Spencer's excellent website produced those results.
[url] http://members.aye.net/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Charlie said:
Roundball what effect dose the jug choke have on shooting round ball? Or have you tried it with round ball?
Old Charlie
I have not made a dedicated range test for that purpose yet...after I first got it, I shot a few balls out of it and was not pleased with the accuracy...caused me to buy another one just for deer hunting.

BUT...I found out that the second GM .62cal smoothbore also gave an occasional flyer and diagnosed it to be caused buy using an over power wad...got flyers with a wad, no flyers without a wad.

So one day I want to go back and see if the Jug Choked .62 will shoot the proven good load from the other .62 OK so I'll know first hand...but frankly since it's no longer a burning issue with me it probably won't be any time soon.

Maybe somebody else has some first hand info and will chime in.

That IS impressive :hmm: ...does this mean I'm going to have to sell off one of my last percussions to get a jug-choked, flintlock smoothie? :shake:

Dixie Flinter said:
That IS impressive :hmm: ...does this mean I'm going to have to sell off one of my last percussions to get a jug-choked, flintlock smoothie? :shake:
No, they're available in those modern caplocks too
:grin:

Got one on my H+A underhammer and it do work GREAT! Fred :hatsoff:

Back