• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

410 ga. for rabbits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a very interesting thought, and especially useful feedback.

We never got around to loading anything heavier in our shells because the first step up was so discouraging. I bet it will hinge on good hard shot, but I hadn't thought of experimenting with slower powders to cut down on deformities. That will be high on my list when I get my own 410 ML.

Thanks!

Halftail said:
I had a little .410 double that loaded from the muzzle,Nice little gun to tote around but I found you had to right on top of what you was shootin at for a good kill.A bit light in my opinion.

Thats my experiance too. A 20GA or 28GA would be more efficient BUT.....Killin the critter may or may NOT be the most inportant part of your hunt and a 410 will get-er done at within its peramaters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I've hunted snowshoe rabbits on snowshoes with beagles in the Up of MI when there was enough snow that all you would see is the dogs head once and awhile. My cousins beagles always were good at running rabbits but the best dog that he ever had for rabbits was ½ beagle and ½ basset we shot a lot of bunny's over her.
My first and the only gun my Father gave me in 1956 is a Savage 220A 3” 410 gauge shotgun. I still have it and used in 1958 for my first deer hunt with 3” paper slugs.

Long Hunter like you my first gun came from the only place we could buy a gun [at the local hardware store]. I remember every time Dad and I would go there the hardware clerk would get it down off the wall and let me hold it. It was under the Christmas tree with a box of 3" shells. I was one happy 10 yr.old boy.

since its a muzzleloader, is ther a reason you want to use a modern bore size? are you using modern barrels or something? you could build it with 28ga barrels and call it a 410 :wink:

and where did the idea about his grandson come in? did i miss something?

The bore of the barrel I was thinking of using actually mics .430. I was thinking because the gun would be lite to carry would be good to get my 10yr. grandson started in flintlocks.

then im all for it. :thumbsup: ive shot a 410 with a wide choke since i was just a youngin, my dad used it all his life before me. it just takes a different mindset than the "whack-em-all" 12ga.

Back