• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

433 ball in new 45 green mountain?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Young

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order parts for a new 45 cal rifle with a green mountain barrel. This will be my first 45 and I assume a 440 ball is what most people shoot, however, I found a really good buy on alot of Hornady swaged 433 balls. Anyone shoot these in their 45's? I looked for the specs on the new barrels but havn't found it yet.

You will likely need a pretty thick patch I used to shoot .445 or .450 balls in a .45GM barrel, I would try some to see how the work.

The .433 diameter balls are .007 smaller than the .440 balls most people shoot.
That's only .0035 (about the thickness of a course black hair) smaller on the radius so if your shooting these with a .018 thick patch it will be very similar to shooting a .440 diameter ball with a .015 thick patch.

I think the bottom line is they will be a little easier to load and will shoot the same as the larger balls.
Only shooting them and comparing their accuracy with .440 diameter balls will tell the whole story though.

Have fun with the smaller balls. :)

If GM's .45cal RB barrel bores are the same size as TC's, they may be very loose and burn / shred patches.

I can easily thumb start Hornady .440s & .018" P/T patches in TC's .45cal RB barrels with no effort at all...you may find you'll need some .022" patches for a good snug fit for accuracy

Don't know what specs you were looking for on the Green Mountain barrels. For thier .45 cal barrels diameters are reamed to within .0002" tolerances. They have a 1-60" twist and between .010-.012" depth on the rifling grooves, depending on caliber.
For "general" shooting, I think most people today patch tighter than what they need to. I am shooting a Green Mountain .45. I use a .440" ball and a .010" patch with excellent results with easy loading. My daughter shoots a T/C .45 cal Seneca with the same patch/ball combo and she gets excellent results with easy loading. I would try the .433's with a .015-.018" patch and see what happens.

Thanks guys. I hate to pass them up, he said that if I would by them, he would let me have them for around $4 a box of 100.

I kind of thought Green mountain would tell the bore deminsions of their barrels. Is a .45 truely .45 from land to land? I have a .50 GPR and it is .511 land to land plus the grooves.

GM barrels tend to be large. Most people use a .005 or .010 undersized ball with a thickish patch. The .433 balls were made for some of the old imports that were actually a .44 rather than a .45. They would be pretty sloppy in a .45 unless you were using thick denim patching.

With any barrel, made by anyone, you have to measure the boe diameter yourself, using calipers. YOu can buy a decent dial caliper from some of the suppliers listed here under " links" for $20.00 or less. The battery operated digital ones are great, but the batteries run down, usually when You need to use the darn caliper. Unless you are a machinist, working with fine measurements daily, I can't thing you ever will really need a digital caliper.

I have both the older Vernier scale caliper, and the dial caliper. Both work great, but I have to take my glasses off and find some good light( incandescent bulbs- not florescent lihgt!) to read the scale on my vernier calipers, any more. I have the same problem with reading my older micrometers. I notice the paint on the walls in my garage seems to be peeling some. I had better clean up my language!( when reading those scales.) :blah: :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup:

Green Mountain recommends a .445" ball for hunting and a .451" ball for target. That's not to say you can't get OK accuracy with a .433" and thick patch, it's mainly a question of what you consider to be "OK".

Dave Young said:
I found a really good buy on alot of Hornady swaged 433 balls.
Dave,
Define alot! Especially at $4 per hundred?
Also what part of the 'Buckeye State' do you
call home? Just Wondering:hmm:
snake-eyes :)

Yeah, and if you don't buy every box he has at that price, please PM me his name and phone #
:grin:

Hey Snake Eyes, I live in Waverly just about an hour South of you. The gun shop is about 10 minutes from me. If I knew this size ball would be easy to get rid of, I would deffinetly buy them, then if I didn't like them just resell them. He said that he thought he had about 60 boxes of them. If I bought all of them I could probably get them cheaper yet.

Latest posts

Back