• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 or .36 for match target shooting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I'm sure you know, the reason many people prefer a small bore target pistol is recoil. Many folks shoot .32's. A .36 ball weighs about half as much as a .45 and can get to the target with less powder. Less powder and less lead equals less recoil. Of course light loads in a .45 are not at all unpleasant but if you want to grab every point you can get, the .36 may just let you score a point or two higher and that can make all the difference in tight competition.

If you are doing all your shooting at 25 yards, caliper is a matter of personal preferance. If you are shooting at 50 yards I suggest the .45

Also depends on the gun. My .36 Uberti/Navy Arms 1861 Colt I bought in '65 is horribly inaccurate. On the other hand, the Pieta .45 Remington 1858 I bought out of the Bargain Cave at Cabela's is a tack driver. Go figure!

Ha ha yeah that's interesting...my Uberti .36 Remington Navy is a real tack-driver for a cap-n-ball revolver, not too long ago it shot a 1.5" group for me at 20 yards. My Euro-Arms 1860 .45" is accurate, but nothing like the .36 Uberti. Them guns have a mind of thier own.

I'd go for the .36 for target shooting for sure, and it would sure make a cool little grouse gun if you are a hunter. I've always wanted that gun in .36, just for that purpose, although the Remington Navy fills that slot now.

Rat

G'day RackwitzG

I own a Pedersoli LePage in .36 calibre and use it for target shooting. I am, however, not the greatest of shots these days as the shakes are getting worse and the eyes are fading slowly. My selection of .36 over the .44 was made purely on stock availability of the importer.

One of my shooting mates, Bob Chalker, shoots with a .36 LePage and he is usually in the top 3 in Australia with the gun. His scores are regularly 98 or 99 out of 100. I have also discussed calibres with David Moore, another one of the top 10 BP shooters in Australia. Both David and Chalky felt the .44 had an advantage with the weight of the projectile resulting in a better flight when wind is a factor. On the otherhand both also indicated that the difference was so small at 25 metres (our shooting range for this gun) that really either were a good choice.

The LePage is also shot at 50 metres and again I have seen it used well in both calibres.

I use 12 grains of FFFg in my LePage. I think Chalky is using 15 gns. I have used up to 25 gns and it is still a delight to shoot.

I think the bottom line is maybe .44 is slightly more accurate in windy conditions but I am not going to replace my .36 as it outshoot this old bloke everytime. I know that Chalky also thinks the same way.

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

PS I have ordered a LePage Flintlock in smoothbore. It is only available in .45 cal.

Thanks to all posters, you helped me alot in making up my mind.
Today I was able to shoot a .44 and was suprised by the recoil. I usually shoot air pistol and .22 sport pistol so I

RackwitzG-I have an older LePage in 38cal.(.375R/B) shoots way better than I can, I thought maybe it would be a good trade-off between 36 and 44cal. The only time I have a problem is shooting 50yds. off hand(but with these old eyes it may not be the pistol). I have bench rested this pistol, and it is very accurate. The wind however moves the ball around some. You might want to listen to Aussie Bob, I think he has more experience with these pistols. Personally I think you would be happy with either caliber..Be safe..good shooting..Respectfully Montanadan

Back