• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.44 Revolvers, Largest Chambers' Diameter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big of chambers have you seen?
How big is just too big for .451 groove diameter barrels?
My new Uberti Walker has .449 chamber mouths, .438 Bore and .4532 groove diameter. If your chambers and projectiles are truly round and the loading ram in centered then .450 would be the biggest one would want to use. If I decide to shoot conicals I will most likely open the chamber mouths to groove diameter.
Seldom are all these specs near perfect so in general my guess is .449 chamber mouths are about as big as .451 balls would seal in but would still be under size for best results in the groove diameter my barrel has.. It would be hard to go wrong with .454 or .457 ball diameters in general me thinks.
Conicals are a different animal and seem to respond best to groove diameter or .001 over.

How big of chambers have you seen?
How big is just too big for .451 groove diameter barrels?
Every Pietta Shooters Model I’ve had (maybe a half dozen so far) has had .455” chambers at a minimum, most were .456” and one had .457”. Those guns will shoot about as well as the shooter can manage but so can the Rugers quite often, and they seem to run .452-.454”.

Charlie Hahn used to ream chambers to .456 and I’ve had him do a number of my Colts and an Uberti Remington. They shoot exceptionally well with round ball, the Kerr bullet, and my Accurate Molds 200 grain flat points.

Every Pietta Shooters Model I’ve had (maybe a half dozen so far) has had .455” chambers at a minimum, most were .456” and one had .457”. Those guns will shoot about as well as the shooter can manage but so can the Rugers quite often, and they seem to run .452-.454”.

Charlie Hahn used to ream chambers to .456 and I’ve had him do a number of my Colts and an Uberti Remington. They shoot exceptionally well with round ball, the Kerr bullet, and my Accurate Molds 200 grain flat points.
Were Charley's chamber mouths stepped with a 45 degree transition or bored through on all but the rebated cylinders (models 60s -62s etc) which would require stepping.

Latest posts

Back