• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

44cal Cap & Ball Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These firearms must be slightly different as I have a Pietta 1858 Remington Army Steel in 44 caliber. I use Hornady Lead Round Ball .44 cal .454". They also give me that fine shaving of lead when I push the ball into the cylinder.

I am not an expert, but do have a modest amount of experience. Most of my revolvers are Colt type open top revolvers made by Pietta. I shoot .451" balls hand cast in a lee mold. Also some .451" balls bought from Track of the Wolf.
The test is to remove a cone, lightly grease that chamber and push a ball about to where it would be when loading.
With a SOFT punch made of brass, wood, or aluminum push the ball out and look at the sealing band on the ball.
Over the past two years I have shot close to a thousand rounds with .451" balls with no problem. If you are cutting a fine shaving of lead off the ball when loading you are golden.
For what it is worth.
Respectfully
Bunk
Have you shot conical rounds in your revolver as well? Was thinking fo getting some as well.

Have you shot conical rounds in your revolver as well? Was thinking of getting some as well.

Yes the Eras Gone Colt bullet in my .36 1851 Navy but at CAS ranges ranges I saw no difference except they did ring the steel better.
A little more trouble to load because there was no way I could see to grease the bullet so lube over the bullet was necessary and messy.
Frankly they were not worth h the trouble for the kind of shooting I was doing. because minute of Volkswagen is all that is needed.
Hold Center
Bunk

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased Bullets .450" diameter, 200 grain, conical revolver bullet for .44 Army Revolvers, cast from LEE 90382 from Track of the Wolf, Inc. My cylinder can be removed from the revolver. This made it very easy to load the conical bullets.

Have you shot conical rounds in your revolver as well? Was thinking fo getting some as well.
I would suggest staying away from conicals with a brass frame revolver. It will shoot them, but in my opinion the additional weight of the conical when compared to a round ball will strain and loosen the brass frame faster as you shoot it.

I would suggest staying away from conicals with a brass frame revolver. It will shoot them, but in my opinion the additional weight of the conical when compared to a round ball will strain and loosen the brass frame faster as you shoot it.
I must admit i agree with SDSmif. I like brass frame revolvers but they must be cared for better than steel frame guns.
DL

I would suggest to stay away from brass framed revolvers completely. Yes I know where were revolvers made from brass or gunmetal but they were made in the south under difficult situations and were not made to last.
The original 1860 Henry was started with a steel frame but went to a gunmetal frame most likely for economic reasons.
Also from a historical perspective, brass frame revolvers that copy Colt open top were a very rare item S&G made a few perhaps as many as 50 and a few others, but would suggest going Pietta steel frame guns.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

Also from a historical perspective, brass frame revolvers that copy Colt open top were a very rare item S&G made a few perhaps as many as 50 and a few others.

This is a bit off-topic, but I found a thread about a possible Schneider & Glassick SN 25 a couple of years ago and saved the photos but alas, not the link. I think it is a very good candidate for an original revolver. The backstrap is engraved Capt. Edward A. Palfrey C.S. 1862 in period script. I have a good friend in SC whose name is Pelfrey; I sent these photos to him, and his wife (who is somewhat of a genealogist) tracked down the name as a paternal relative who served in some CSA regiment in Virginia during that period. The rear of the barrel lug, end of the arbor, wedge, rear of cylinder, and hammer are all stamped "25".

S&G 002.jpgS&G 003.jpgS&G 005.jpgS&G 006.jpgS&G 008.jpgS&G 009.jpgS&G 010.jpgS&G 011.jpgS&G 012.jpg

Notice the large barrel/cylinder gap.

IIRC, there was a S&G SN 25 in the Steuart Collection at the Battle Abbey Museum in Richmond VA some years ago, but according to William A. Gary Confederate Revolvers (1987) it is no longer there (as of a few years ago). He shows one photo of the bottom frame/barrel lug that shows SN 25 in the book with the same font that this series I have posted does not have a photo pertaining to that.

Same revolver? I dunno.

A subject for much discussion.

Regards,

Jim

This is a bit off-topic, but I found a thread about a possible Schneider & Glassick SN 25 a couple of years ago and saved the photos but alas, not the link. I think it is a very good candidate for an original revolver. The backstrap is engraved Capt. Edward A. Palfrey C.S. 1862 in period script. I have a good friend in SC whose name is Pelfrey; I sent these photos to him, and his wife (who is somewhat of a genealogist) tracked down the name as a paternal relative who served in some CSA regiment in Virginia during that period. The rear of the barrel lug, end of the arbor, wedge, rear of cylinder, and hammer are all stamped "25".

View attachment 50246View attachment 50247View attachment 50248View attachment 50249View attachment 50250View attachment 50251View attachment 50252View attachment 50253View attachment 50254

Notice the large barrel/cylinder gap.

IIRC, there was a S&G SN 25 in the Steuart Collection at the Battle Abbey Museum in Richmond VA some years ago, but according to William A. Gary Confederate Revolvers (1987) it is no longer there (as of a few years ago). He shows one photo of the bottom frame/barrel lug that shows SN 25 in the book with the same font that this series I have posted does not have a photo pertaining to that.

Same revolver? I dunno.

A subject for much discussion.

Regards,

Jim
Very nice old original pistol. Take care of it for all to see and cherish.
DL

Latest posts

Back