• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal and hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walks with fire said:
I never had one deer move out of it's tracks when hit.

I guess that I am also confused. Does the 30-30 or 45/54 knock the critter out of it's tracks? Is that like knocking it's socks off?

Does this mean that the animal can be found in close proximity to it's last recorded tracks? But how far from the point of impact do the tracks stop and said deer be found, still in it's tracks?

Hey just poking fun :thumbsup:

The shots were always at stationary broadside deer. One thing I noticed when I went up to the .308 that the slower 30-30 would fold em up right there but they would run about 40-60 yards when the faster .308 was used. I can't say if it were bullet construction or speed but I shot enough with each over the years to notice a big difference in reaction to the shot.

In my experience the slower 30-30 worked far better inside 100 yards on deer. I also took quite a few over the years with a .357 handgun and some with a .44 mag. and it seemed to me that the .357 worked far better on behind the shoulder shots on deer than the .44 did.

I have always used a .50 caliber roundball and just recently purchased .54 and .58 drop-ins that will be converted to flint for our flint only season. I am quite interested to test out the heavier roundball rifles to see for myself if there is any noticable difference. I expect the .58 to be an improvement from the posts I have read; but, I want to see for myself. I really can't wait to drop the hammer on my first whitetail with a .58 ball. :)

The .357 does indeed drop deer all out of proportion the paper ballistics; certainly giving up little to the .44. The best in my experience, however, is the .41. These slower rounds are much closer to prb than are cf rifle rounds. :thumbsup:

Brian, I don't think it's a matter of knocking them out of their tracks but rather helping them slow down a bit and smell the roses. :grin:

luie b, We're not opinionated; we simply state unassailable facts. Read my signature. :rotf:

Odd that you mention that because I have found the same thing to be true on both counts. My 30-30 has had better, or quicker results than my .308.

But the BP kills have been pretty consistent between 50 and 54. Usually trail for about 30 yds if no hard structure is hit.

Thanks for the colorfull :eek:ff debate. LOL
I know the intentions were meant well. I think for my own peace of mind I will be shooting 220 / 250 gr. conicals in the .45.I don't shoot over 70 yards so trajectory should be of little concern, and the heavier conical may be better suited for our larger deer, or an Elk.
Pete

petew said:
I will be shooting 220 / 250 gr. conicals in the .45.I don't shoot over 70 yards so trajectory should be of little concern, and the heavier conical may be better suited for our larger deer, or an Elk.
Pete
FWIW, I agree...wouldn't think of going after your big Canadian Whitetails or an Elk anywhere with a tiny little .45cal ball.
If you don't have a larger caliber PRB capable rifle, then something like a T/C .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunter has proven itself an excellent choice...as well as the Hornady .45cal/285grn Great Plains bullet.
And an Oyoke prelubed wool wad over the powder has also proven to be a good thing.

I have a 54 cal, and a few 50 cal's also, but it is the Rifle style I like with this 45. Seems that I should be able to get suficent velocity with a 220 or 250 Conical to be quite efective.
I just need a "Jed Clampet" hat and Jacket and I should be all set.

Pete, I believe you have come to the right conclusion, many folks around here hunt large muleys and Big Elk with the .45 ML but most use large conicals at the highest velocity you and your rifle can stand. Deadeye

roundball said:
petew said:
I will be shooting 220 / 250 gr. conicals in the .45.I don't shoot over 70 yards so trajectory should be of little concern, and the heavier conical may be better suited for our larger deer, or an Elk.
Pete
FWIW, I agree...wouldn't think of going after your big Canadian Whitetails or an Elk anywhere with a tiny little .45cal ball.
If you don't have a larger caliber PRB capable rifle, then something like a T/C .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunter has proven itself an excellent choice...as well as the Hornady .45cal/285grn Great Plains bullet.
And an Oyoke prelubed wool wad over the powder has also proven to be a good thing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well this got out of hand,now didnt it.
Get a cup of coffee take a walk and regroup!!!!
If you look at the "Original" load for a 45/70 for comparison,,,,It was 45 cal slug,,,,pushed by 70 grns of Balck Powder,,
So when I load my 45 with 70 grns of Black Powder am I shooting a 45/70 or a 45 with 70 grn of Black Powder?????
I read some of the postings a "simular to" in traites not ballistics. For instance,,
45 to 30-30 not a big bullet,not all that fast,limited range,
54 to say 35 cal big bullet not real fast, limited range but a real truck carrying energy

That's right it's just a generalization " a 45 is kind of like a 243" or whatever you think it's like. All I know is I put a .445 RB under 65 grains of fffg and if I put the ball in the pump station the deer dies. And Ron, LD is right on people that don't know anything about ML's could think "hey a 30/30 has a 30 cal bullet so a 32 cal ML should work fine on deer" you may think that's dumb or incorrect to relate ML to CF but for some people you have to give them a idea.

Back