• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 cal deer load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had several .45's of different makes and use 60-65 gr 3f BP in all of them for a hunting load, I have heard some pyro shooters suggest using the pyro pistol powder in the smaller cals.

Don't know about Pyro but I killed a large doe this year at 50 steps with 50 grs of FFFg and a round ball.I have a TC Seneca and don't want overpower to crack that little stock. Hit right behind the shoulder,dropped in its tracks,got complete pass thru.
More is not always better.Go for tight groups. :thumbsup:

I take no offense whatsoever if someone says my muzzleloader is crappy. I now realize I shouldn't have bought it because the bid got drove up too high. I bought it for 190$.

Work up an ACCURATE load beginning with 50 grains of FFFg Black Powder, or its equivalence. I am NOT a fan of the substitute powders, but Pyrodex will give you the equavalent velocity using 20% Less powder BY VOLUME. That is, if you are shooting 60 grains of FFFg BLACK POWDER by VOLUME, set your volume powder measure for 48 grains when loading Pyrodex to get the same velocity. I don't know any deer that won't drop with a well placed ball in front of 60 grains of black powder. When I was shooting a .45, I used 55 grains of 3Fg BP because it gave me the best accuracy. I strongly doubt any deer will know the difference between being shot by a ball propelled by 55 grains, and 60 grains.

If your rifle has a 42" or longer barrel on it, you may have to add more powder than 60 grains. But, do so ONLY after spending the time at a bench resting the rifle to eliminate human errors, and working up the MOST accurate load for that barrel. Accurate placement is the key to successfully killing deer with a .45 cal., 127 grain RB.

I am NOT a fan of the substitute powders, but Pyrodex will give you the equavalent velocity using 20% Less powder BY VOLUME. That is, if you are shooting 60 grains of FFFg BLACK POWDER by VOLUME, set your volume powder measure for 48 grains when loading Pyrodex to get the same velocity.

Paul, that's not correct. He should only reduce the pyro charge if he is weighing his charges. Pyro RS will weigh approx 20% less than 2f goex when weighed, but equal volumes of pyro rs and goex 2f are nearly identical in velocities. Any variance will typically be due to variance from lot to lot of the goex.

marmotslayer said:
paulvallandigham said: I am NOT a fan of the substitute powders, but Pyrodex will give you the equavalent velocity using 20% Less powder BY VOLUME. That is, if you are shooting 60 grains of FFFg BLACK POWDER by VOLUME, set your volume powder measure for 48 grains when loading Pyrodex to get the same velocity.
Paul, that's not correct.

Marmotslayer, good catch !!
You are right in calling out this posted mis-information.

Pyrodex RS was specifically designed by the Hodgdon Powder Company as a direct Goex 2F equivalent substitute and is used based on volmetric measures just like Goex 2F is used.

As you obviously know, if a load calls for 100grn setting on the powder measure for 100grns Goex 2f, then the same 100grns setting is to be used for the Pyrodex RS 2F equivalent substitute.

louie,
I can only tell you what works for me at the
ranges that I hunt at.I very seldom get a shot beyond 50 yards,longest ever was 65 yards. Most
are well under 50 I would say the average is
maybe 30/35 yards,I can remember a doe at 15yards.
My particular .45cal of which I have two both
will shoot 3" groups at 50yards. My load in both is .440RB with a lubed .015 patch and 65grains
of 3fff Goex. Like I stated it works for me.
Your criteria may be entirely different.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Thanks for catching my error. You are correct.

Yer welcome.

And, by virtue of that relationship, it's true, as Hodgdon has always said, you get 20% more shots with Pyrodex.

gmww said:
When I first suggested 70gr. It is because you'll discover that your gun will have a sweet spot. Sweet spot being where your gun shoots the most accurate at a given powder charge. I like to go up in 5 gr. increments an shoot 5 shot groups. It can take a while but it's worth the effort.

Good advice! :thumbsup:

Back