• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 cal Dixie Penn. style rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wynne

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .45 cal Dixie guns works Pennsylvania style percussion rifle that I bought new in the 60's, hunted with it a few years and hung it on the wall and went to shooting T/C's and still do, rifle has a 3 digit serial number, just wondering if these early repo's have any collector value, gun still in exc cond, any info appreciated

I suppose there is someone out there who collects the old 1960 vintage guns but I don't know any of them.

Most collectors save their money for original guns from the 1800's or other more modern guns that will rapidly increase in value.

I doubt they have any collector value. If you are looking to sell it, and want top dollar, shoot a good target with the gun at 50 yds. then put down all the load data on the target, and put it in a plastic binder, to attach to the trigger guard of the gun.

Then, buyers can see the gun, see how good its condition is, and then see how well it shoots with YOUR Best load, and get the details on the load used.

That takes a lot of work out of buying any used gun, and will draw a lot of interest away from guns that don't include this kind of pictoral information. Better, a buyer is going to be willing to pay more money for a gun where much of the work has already been done for him, than a used gun of unknown condition, where he has to work up the load himself.

I wasn't thinking of selling it, just curious, it looks good hanging over the fireplace

My Dad built a Dixie percussion rifle kit in 1970, fired maybe 5-10 shots from it,hung it on his bedroom wall, and there it hangs to this day.

For what it's worth, I don't know that it would have any collectors value. The .45 cal Penn. Rifles that Dixie sells currently are made by Pedersoli. Despite some complaints about the patent breech on those, most will agree that they are good accurate shooters.

hanshi said:
It needs to be shot. How would you like it if you were stuck hanging over a fireplace?
that's what i say, too. needs to be shot. owned 9 guns in 17 years, if i dont shoot it, i sell it.
now i have Violet, .45 bp rifle and i shoot it hard. we love it. :wink:

That would be the old Belgian made gun with the candy-striped loading rod? While it may not have a lot of collector status, it still represents the "early days" of the resurrected black powder craze. To that extent, I would consider it collectible, especially if it's a good shooter on top of it.

Thats the description, it does shoot good, however the gun does not fit me, the stock is to short, although I put several rounds thru it years ago, I started hunting with a T/C Hawken and have taken a lot of deer with it, I am going to hunt with a Lancaster this year, just finished building it and turned out real nice, haven't put a round thru it yet, kinda like a kid at Christmas time, just letting the anticipation build.

Latest posts

Back