• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal for squirrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stringbean

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I currently do not have a designated squirrel rifle and I was wondering if my 45 cal. would be too much?

If you and your rifle are capable of head shots, you bet. A .45 can be a bit messy with body hits. That would be about the only problem.

I have used a .45 for 30 years.
55 grains 3fff works for me becuase that is my accurate load. and I want to be accurate to hit them in the head.
find your accurate load.

Best load is the most accurate with your rifle. It's a small target and you can't be too accurate.

Thanks guys. I think I will try her on woodchucks too this summer just for the fun of it. Ever since I got into flinters I haven't used my newfangled rifles much!

The .45 can work just fine for squirrels. While top accuracy is important, I highly suggest a very light load. The head/neck area is the target but if you stray a little too far back (light loads, again) that's okay. Not much worth saving in the front half, anyway.

My .45 pet squirrel load is 30 grs 3f and a .445 RB and as was said....."head shots only".....Fred

stringbean said:
Hello, I currently do not have a designated squirrel rifle and I was wondering if my 45 cal. would be too much?
Not in my opinion...I killed a few with a throttled back .45cal Flintlock using 30grns Goex 3F myself as it was the smallest caliber rifle I had. And speaking only for myself, there isn't enough meat on the front half of a squirrel to pay attention to the often repeated head shots only mantra...and of course those who like "squirrel brains" don't ever take head shots...hind-quarters are where the bulk of the meat is. Personally, I take whatever shot I can get in the head/neck/shoulder area and go pick up the squirrel...the .45cal will get it done just fine.

I only use a,45 as it is the only caiber rifles. I have my smoothie 20 gauge a little heavy for limb bacon just my :2

Stringbean if your 45 is accurate enough and your squirrels are destined for a hot skillet a light load and a head shot is far better than any other shot.after all if you can hit the shoulder you can probly hit the head too .

if its the fox squrriel veriaty they are the bigger of the bunch.havefun huntin.Curt

If you hunt in Pa., it is against the regulations to hunt small game with anything larger than 40 cal.

GWM said:
If you hunt in Pa., it is against the regulations to hunt small game with anything larger than 40 cal.

There ya go, always know your regulations first! :thumbsup:

Hi...one of the reasons to "head hit" squirrels....they skin easier w/o tearing apart. I really dislike when I'm pulling the skin on a squirrel and the carcass separates because of a body hit ...the only way then is a very sharp knife and much more work. Another reason is more meat....if indeed a person does eat what they shoot......Fred

Hmmm...Didn't know that one. I guess if the wife wants to keep me out of jail then she will have to ok the building of yet another rifle :hmm:

Back