• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 cal rate of twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaxx

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I know this forum is focused on the traditional American genre of muzzleloading rifles, but I was wondering if there are any long range ML target shooters in the neighborhood. What I'm trying to find out is the optimum twist rate for a .45 cal barrel that would shoot a patched bullet of @ 500 grains. I'm considering re-barreling my rifle as I don't hunt any more but still like to burn powder.

Thanks in advance!

The Faster ROT-1:18-- will stabilize even heavier bullets. But, understand that you want a barrel with relatively shallow grooves for those cast, PP bullets. Rifling groove depth should be in the order of .004-.006" deep- no more- like what you find in modern bullet barrels.

You can still shoot Soft Lead Balls from these barrels, but you need a tight ball diameter/patch thickness combination to get good accuracy much beyond 50 yds. And, you will generally find that keeping the powder charges lower than you might use with a slow twist, deep groove barrel, will give better accuracy. Regardless of groove depth, I recommend you try using a Groove diameter OP wad between the powder and PRB, or PPB, to seal the bore from gases, and protect the patch( Paper or cloth) from burning, and the lead from being cut by the hot gases.

Zaxx.....you will find that there are several long range muzzleloaders lurking around here. A 45 cal. barrel should have a 1:18 twist for 500-550 grain bullets. You can also shoot correctly sized grease groove bullets as well as paper patched. Both should be about .001 under bore size for best results. It is EXTREMELY important to have the correct breech installed due to the MUCH higher pressures generated. You will also burn out nipples quickly unless you use a platinum lined nipple. Don't forget also, for best accuracy you must wipe between shots. Hope this helps. Cheers Paul

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

I'm on a learning curve here, and your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

P.S. With all due respect, I reserve the right to ask more questions in the future...

Latest posts

Back