• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 cal TC maxi hunters grouping bad

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Trapper

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Guess I do not own any TC Hawken rifles that like TC maxi balls or maxi hunter bullets. Today I tried the maxi hunter bullets in my 45 cal TC Hawken. From 70 to 90 grains of triple seven 2f with felt wad over powder produced groups of 8+ inches at 50 yards. Loaded up some Hornady 285 gr HP great plains bullets and got a nice 7/8 inch clover leaf group?? I have 3 TC Hawken rifles a 45, 50 & one 54. All shoot best with the great plains bullets. I had a 45 cal Seneca barrel that also would not shoot those maxi hunter bullets? The 50 & 54 cal rifles will shoot the maxi hunter and maxi balls better but not as well as they will do with the great plains bullets. How many of you guys have had the same problem?

My .54 T/C Hawkens will shoot 1" groups at 50 yards with T/C 400 grain Maxi Balls that I cast. That's with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a felt wad. Just for kicks, I casted up a bunch of T/C 220 grain Maxi Balls and shot them out of my .45 Blue Ridge flinter. Got 1" groups at 50 yards using 70 grains od FFFg Goex and a felt wad.

Rat Trapper said:
Guess I do not own any TC Hawken rifles that like TC maxi balls or maxi hunter bullets. Today I tried the maxi hunter bullets in my 45 cal TC Hawken. From 70 to 90 grains of triple seven 2f with felt wad over powder produced groups of 8+ inches at 50 yards. Loaded up some Hornady 285 gr HP great plains bullets and got a nice 7/8 inch clover leaf group?? I have 3 TC Hawken rifles a 45, 50 & one 54. All shoot best with the great plains bullets. I had a 45 cal Seneca barrel that also would not shoot those maxi hunter bullets? The 50 & 54 cal rifles will shoot the maxi hunter and maxi balls better but not as well as they will do with the great plains bullets. How many of you guys have had the same problem?

Many moons ago I could never shoot a decent group with .50 cal Maxi-Hunter's from two different T/C rifles But if I put Maxi-Balls in those same guns, they shot good groups every time.

I found that .45 tc maxiballs,felt wad and 60-70grs 3f goex drives tacks at 50meter for me! thats out of my .45 TC Hawken. Never tried maxihunters. Didn't need to!!

Latest posts

Back