• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 Caliber Target Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered a .45 cal, 1:18 twist ,1” barrel from Rice Barrel for the same purpose. Mine is 32”, 5-6 month wait.

Hmmm… 🤔 is there something in the air? I know it can’t be the water! I’m gonna give Jason, at Rice, a phone call on Monday for almost the very same animal but just a tad heavier. I’ve heared a lot of good comments about Rice.

Last edited:
Cannonball, t'were me I'd design the rifling to suit what I'd shoot.

PS,
I'm presently in that process of deciding on and designing the next rifle. Think I'll use a left hand TC New Englander as the base to start with on this one. The New Englander has good points and bad points but being a left handed step child on a wrong brained planet, well, one does what one can.
Polygonal rifling with rounded points is what I want.
Another lefty. That is me which brings certain obstacles. Here is my last LH sporting rifle using a Green Mt. barrel. I might use Fleener's Rod England hardware advice. Can't decide just yet Target Rifle - GM2.jpg.
Target Rifle - GM3.jpg

Love that rifle, however on the next one make it with a butt that is made for shooting prone and heavy loads.

Fleener

I think it is personal preference on which rifle to build. Alex Henry? Rigby? Gibbs? or Other?

I would consider parts from Rod England with perhaps a custom barrel. Rods are AH style rifles.

Fleener
If I do use Rod England hardware I would have to make it a right hand gun. No problem there the right handers in the family could use it.

Fleener, I contacted Krieger Barrel and they can make me a blank with what I want. My machinist will make it an octagon barrel for $150.00. The only problem is I am looking at least one year before they would make it. I am in the essence in time when waiting doesn't work very well. Guess I will see what the wait time is for a Rice Barrel.

Stikshooter, how does the Rice barrel shoot long range? To put you on the spot. What are some of the long range groups? I do have one of their slow twist barrels on a Hawken that has never been shot for grouping. Long story, but It was made for my Grandson. He is in Germany and I am waiting for him to get home to give it to him.

I've decided to order parts for an Alex Henry ML. Could someone please tell me where I can get a hold of Rod England to order the parts. Specifically a breech plug and tang? Thanks

I know Rod personally, just shot with him at the Oak Ridge TN match. He is a great guy and makes a great product.

I dont own one of his kits, however if I was in the market I would not hesitate.

Fleener

I was rereading this thread. Do you plan to have a false muzzle or a dedicated bullet starter? How do you ensure the bullet gets started without damage? Trying to learn here...

I was rereading this thread. Do you plan to have a false muzzle or a dedicated bullet starter? How do you ensure the bullet gets started without damage? Trying to learn here...
Insofar as the typical 19thC British .45 cal long range muzzle loading match rifle, false muzzle's weren't needed for preventing damage to the bullet. The paper patched bullets are marginally under bore size and a slip fit, loading with the weight of the rod. Nothing is needed to 'get the bullet started'. They expand to fit the rifling on firing. False muzzles were however provided by some makers - these were essentially to stop wear at the muzzle from the action of loading and cleaning rods. There were also muzzle protectors available to slip over rods and use when loading/cleaning.

David

Back