• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

45 for black bear.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I know I ben asking a lot on bear lately. Well next question is will my 45 cal cva kentucky be good for bear? Id be using a 440 ball with 70 to 80 grns of FFg. With a .015 pillow ticking patch lube with bee wax and crisco.

I havn't found black bears to be very difficult to kill, If a .45 is what I had, a .45 is what I would use!!!

I have seen bear killed with a 44-40 in our camp, i would think if that can do it a 44 roundball with double the black powder should be fine. Just remember there vital area is different than a deer. Think of a triangle, from the base of skull to rear of shoulder to mid leg back to the base of skull, if you aim behind the leg like a deer, you can easily hit guts.

rawhide said:
I know I ben asking a lot on bear lately. Well next question is will my 45 cal cva kentucky be good for bear? Id be using a 440 ball with 70 to 80 grns of FFg. With a .015 pillow ticking patch lube with bee wax and crisco.
I have never used a 45 for bear but have killed them with a long bow (black bear) and have had buddies use inlines in 45 for them with great results. I can compare it to a boar though and say with 70 grains 3f and a .440 prb it kills hogs all day long just avoid the shoulders and pick your shot. For larger hogs I used a buffalo bull-etttttttttttt the heavier weight for the round was a major penetrating improvement on larger pigs. Just my opinion I love the 45 cal. Also note most bears I have killed were under 30 yards as well

Blackbruin said:
I have seen bear killed with a 44-40 in our camp, i would think if that can do it a 44 roundball with double the black powder should be fine. Just remember there vital area is different than a deer. Think of a triangle, from the base of skull to rear of shoulder to mid leg back to the base of skull, if you aim behind the leg like a deer, you can easily hit guts.
Good point here a quartering away shot with leg forward is the key and tight to the shoulder is what you need to strive for even broad side shots can be iffy with the leg back.

Just to :stir: in 2010 a hunter here in western Colorado killed a 704 pound black Bear, I had my track walked over by a bear here that I think was killed the next year. It went 500+ pounds.

Not saying a .45 won't, just saying I bet even a 54 would feel like a pea shooter if you ended up face to face with Mr. 704 :shocked2:

Sean Gadhar said:
Just to :stir: in 2010 a hunter here in western Colorado killed a 704 pound black Bear, I had my track walked over by a bear here that I think was killed the next year. It went 500+ pounds.

Not saying a .45 won't, just saying I bet even a 54 would feel like a pea shooter if you ended up face to face with Mr. 704 :shocked2:
He could always grin him to death..

In my opinion a larger black bear gives a bigger vital zone. Here in pa we get some of the largest in the states, one was just over 800#. Now you get into a larger layer of fat, fully developed bone structure and more muscle mass. Makes harder for penetration as well as seals up wound channels and the hide absorbs a lot of blood. A trade off per say for a larger target. In all reality if you make a good shot you are fine, it's just a semi unique target you have to aim at compared to elk deer etc...

Latest posts

Back