• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 or .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, exactly (128, 177, 230, 278...) and the heavier ball carries penetrating power further down range (immediately after consuming more powder and generating more fp of recoil energy). everything is a tradeoff.

smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Only if one decides to use more powder...

I use 80grs FFF in my .54, my .45 load was 75grs...I could just as easily go to 75grs in my .54 and be as effective...

The .54 has less recoil vs the .45...

I use 70grs in my .50 and 80 in my .54, so it does cost me a little more in both lead and powder to use my .54, but it isn't by much. Besides, who wants just one gun anyway?

And a solid hit doe can take a lot of yardage to realize that the .54 ball kilt her. You just never know. :idunno:

WadePatton said:
I chose 54 for my first deer rifle, because-even though a 45 would kill nearly every deer i've ever shot with any weapon, it wouldn't reach them all. And not that a "trophy" deer ever presented itself outside of my range, yet. The time is coming and I trust the heavier ball to be effective at a greater range, provided i do my part in knowing the best load and getting off a good shot-in that case.

Smaller bore, shorter effective range. But that one "step" between the most commonly available offerings is really only a half-step. That's how i sum it up. That there's just not much diff in .04-.05 caliber "upgrades" but that it takes .08-.10 difference in calibers to make a stink.

I started with a 54 cal GPR with a 22 inch barrel. I just picked up a 45 cal with a 33 1/2 in barrel. The 54 weighs 8 1/2 lbs, the 45 weighs 8 lbs. The 54 feels lighter and better balanced. The 45 feel muzzle heavy, haven't shot the 45 yet, I'll reserve judgement till then. Just thought I would point out felt weight and balance might make a difference too.

Never could get that barking thing to work.
I have hit them, missed them, and left marks on the tree, but nothing in between........I think its a rual legend.

If you have seen any of Brian Beckem's dvd's he uses a .50 cal round ball using 80grs. powder and seems to get the job done. Own a .50 and would be my choice over a .45, Dan.

One fellow on the forum once told me that people are more in love with the guns that are .45 caliber than the actual bullet itself.

Agree, most of the older posters probably cut their teeth on a .45 of some sort. It just kind of sticks with you.

Latest posts

Back