• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 rifles...?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While .45 cal is the minimum legal caliber for big game hunting here in Alaska, I wouldn't use mine for any critter larger than a Sitka Black-Tail Deer.

On the range, while I love how my .45 shoots, I've had a problem during silhouette matches due to the light caliber. While I can hit those bears out there at 200 yards, making them fall down at that range has proven to be a challenge!

Hitting them at that range is not the problem that making them fall down at that range will be. That 125 grain ball doesn't have much Oomph left out at 200 yds, and that bear target weighs a lot. If you hold into the wind and above the bear's head, you should be able to hit it.

I've often thought if I could only keep one RIFLE it would be a .45cal x 1:48" Flintlock for the total flexibility of using balls & conicals for the range and hunting a broad list of game;

But if I could only keep one MUZZLELOADER, it would be a .54cal Flint smoothbore where PRBs could be used with a broad range of powder charges and I'd also have the shot load capabilities;

I am guilty of being ignorant of UK laws :redface: My recall of past posts from UK members was that .45 was the maximum caliber that could be purchased. I think Traditions decision in the states is strictly from an efficiency model. Fewer parts to keep in stock for repair/replacement issues.

After reading the comments I decided to go into my safe and have a look.

There are more 45 rifles than other calibers. The 45s are for paper work, light hunting and fun.

Pistols (36 and 40) and the rest are 45s. The 40 out shoots the 45s but there is one untested 45 and I have a feeling it will replace the 40 on the line.

If I had to make a decision on which would be my only rifle it would be one of the 45s below:

1. A T/C 15/16" stock, GM 1 in 66 twist with T/C Contender silhouette rear sights and Lyman globe front sight.

2.A T/C 15/16" stock, 1 in 48" T/C barrel which sits in a very early T/C stock and the barrel carries T/C Contender rear sights and Lyman glove front sight.

If the choice was paper work only, the nod goes to gun #1, if the choice was one all around gun, the nod goes to #2.

To me a 45 is kind of like an old pair of boots, they just fit and feel good. I would guess that most start with a 45.

The 45 to the M/L world is what the 22 is to the modern gun group, fun.

tg said:
30 years ago .45 and .50 were the production cals, most available, the smaller bores fell from grace likely a carry over from the centerfire magnumitis, the .45 is a fine deer gun when used with good judgement.

That's right, shot placement is the key in any given caliber. :thumbsup:

I have 4 .45 ml's counting a traditions pioneer pistol and have shot a bunch of deer with all of them over the past 30 years. Have shot around a doz with the pistol and 30 grains of powder all less than 20 yds. None went over 50 yds but all were shot in the chest. Have only shot a couple deer with the rifles over 75 yds most around 30-50. None went over 50 yds but again, all were shot thru the chest. I've never lost a deer yet shot with the .45. No, it's probably not as deadly out to 100 yds as a 50 or 54 but we have shot deer with the rifles and .440 balls with 55 to 80 grains of 3f and all ended up quite dead and didn't go far after the shot. So, for us, the .45 has been a real good caliber for deer hunting. Shoot squirrels with it using 25 gr of powder and try for head shots or front shoulder if possible. It is a bit big for them I think. Hope that helps.

I just got back from the KMA convention and was wandering the trade room to see how many 45's were for sale.
Not much of a selection, the usual suspects of those two piece stock Jukars a couple TC Hawkens and a beat up CVA or two.
Anyone going to some of these other winter indoor shows seeing this same thing...? :hmm:

Back