• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 side lock gun kit made by Miroku in Japan?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have found locally a never shot ultra-hi .45 side lock muzzle loader kit gun for sale made by Miroku in japan. Any word on these or anything good about them. The guy has it priced right anyway..
Thanks

I would just check to be sure that the breech is threaded and not welded.

I've heard a few things about miroku...all bad. If I recall right, the barrels tended to explode or otherwise fail :shocked2:

I doubt that, Miroku builds some very fine guns, the Winchester M-101 over & under shotgun for one. The Ultra-Hi muzzleloader was very much like the current Traditions Kentucky rifle, the one with a two piece stock. If any difference I'd expect the Japanese Ultra-Hi to be somewhat the better gun than the Spanish built Traditions.

Don't know about their Ml's ,but my Miroku O/U 20 ga. is a well built shotgun.

Miroku makes some very fine guns. They were the maker of the Dixie Mountain Rifles, both flint and percussion, and some of the Browning rifles, such as their lever gun.

I just found an Miroku Ultra Hi 45 muzzleloading barrel at a gun show. It was from a kit gun that was never assembled. I was amazed at the quality of the barrel. The bolster type breechplug screwed out and the plug had "fine" threads that were machined into the breechplug precisely. The communication hole from the face of the breechplug up to the nipple was tiny though.

The barrel has 4 groove rifling of what I believe is a 66 inch twist and is 13/16ths diameter.................Bob

I haven't heard of anything that says that Miroku produces poor quality guns.

I do know that many years ago some cheap reproductions of "Tower" pistols were made in Japan and some of these had brazed breech plugs which allegedly "could fail."
I think that these were intended more for wall decorations than actually shooting because the frizzens were left soft.
Some people have said that Miroku made them but I've never seen any proof of this. IMO they were probably made by some other Japanese company.

"Some people have said that Miroku made them but I've never seen any proof of this. IMO they were probably made by some other Japanese company.'

Likely true but when someone mentions Japan made ML's the welded breech thing comes to mind, it does't hurt to check it out.

Back