• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4th Year Empty Handed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Man, I really thought it was going to happen this year. My cousin allowed my father and I to hunt their farm this year. My father spent a lot of time on the farm during archery and was amazed at how many deer frequented the farm. We both were chomping at the bit to get our muzzleloaders out there for the 2nd weekend of firearms season here in Indiana.

What we didn't know was that my cousin's pastor and a missionary from his church were going to hunt the property before us. Doesn't sound like a big deal until we learned they took 8 deer in two days out of there! Well, I didn't see any deer until the last evening there of a 4-day hunt and they were much too far away across a field to take a shot. Bummer.

So, yesterday was my only other day I was going to get out this season. I went to Morgan Monroe State Forest for what I call a "Hail Mary" hunt. No deer there either for a day of looking. All I came back with is this picture of me and my rifle, "Lady's Scorn", wondering where all the deer are. I did spend a nice day in the woods and spent mid-day around a small fire I made eating some left-over turkey. Well, like I've said for the last 4 years, there's always next year...again.

DeerHunt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's too bad there was so much activity in that place just before you hunted it.
And in addition to them taking that many deer out, all the traipsing around associated with taking those deer probably pressured anything else that was left into going completely nocturnal.

Human pressure sure can mess up a hunt, I have tons of deer where I hunt but after the 1st day of rifle season they all change their pattern and basically only move at night, which is fine by me since I primarily bow and muzzleload hunt, bigger deer for me :wink: but I live where I hunt and I know 99% of hunters don't have the luxiory to hunt when ever they want. Keep hunting add you'll connect.

" there's always next year...again "

You're starting to sound like a Cubs fan. :nono:
It sounds like they got a little greedy, before you got there. That's too bad. Better luck next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
That really is too bad, sorry to hear it. Taking eight deer off a farm where you're a guest seems a bit excessive to me, especially when your host has family coming. :shake:

I wasn't going to say it BUT since you brought it up :grin: , I agree, eight seems like a lot with other folks coming to hunt behind you.

Trench, don't throw the towel in yet!

Some of the best deer hunting Indiana has to offer is yet to come....late muzzleloader season.

Find yourself hunting a cornfield in the cold weather to come and you WILL get your deer. I absolutely, positively promise it! :2

Get after them after the week "layoff" as they will relax after the mayhem of our too long "shotgun season".

Good luck, Skychief.

excellent photo ,you really have the gear down, nice stuff ...maybe the late hunt will produce for you stay with it ..hold fast. :thumbsup:

cheers!

Capt. Fred said:
I wasn't going to say it BUT since you brought it up :grin: , I agree, eight seems like a lot with other folks coming to hunt behind you.

Okay, I was thinking the same thing. To add insult to injury these guys shoot other people's tags and don't even keep a single deer for themselves. Just looking for excuses to shoot deer.

hawk 2 said:
excellent photo ,you really have the gear down, nice stuff ...maybe the late hunt will produce for you stay with it ..hold fast. :thumbsup:

cheers!

Like Billy Crystal said, "It's more important to look good than to feel good."

grey coat ....light almost white bag flopping off one hip... does legal

down here your head would be on someones wall :wink:

bobman said:

The thought crossed my mind when on public land. Private land, wouldn't be an issue.

Trench said:
bobman said:

The thought crossed my mind when on public land. Private land, wouldn't be an issue.

you would think you would be reasonable safe seeing there aren't alot of deer running around sporting blaze orange touques :shocked2:

Hey, there Trench!

You're right! There IS always next year.

However, you can increase your odds next year by planning ahead. What do they say? "People who fail to plan, plan to fail". Well, I believe that's the saying, and how true is that statement!

I got a few suggestions for you:

(1) Stay in contact with your state DNR. (Try to find a ranger who's sympathetic with hunters).

(2) Stay abreast of catastrophic events like high incidents of deer being struck by autos, farmers reporting crop loses due to deer foraging, etc.

(3) Contact the colleges or universities in your area. I'm certain that they have someone there who's an environmental expert and is knowledgeable about the animals in the area.

PS.

Describe your "Lady's Scorn" for us...

DSCN6489.jpg

"Lady's Scorn" is my .58 caliber EV from TVM. I had her made back in 2008 and she's yet to be christened in the way of deer hunting.

I do take her out on occasion to my club's monthly shoot where she earned her name. I let my middle finger wander in front of the touch hole one time. "Hell hath no fury..."

She's never been more deadly. I fell upon her best load yet this year with 90gr of FFg and a .025 canvas patch lubed with either TOTW mink oil or some bear/deer tallow. I prefer the tallow.

I have her zeroed at about 65 yards. The trajectory is almost "flat" out to 80 yards where it starts to take a nose dive to 5.5" low at 100yards. If I go back to my cousin's property, I may want to file the front sight down because 100yd shots are deffinitely possible with the small fields out there.

Lady's Scorn is very pretty lady indeed! :bow:

PS.

I think I'd like to date her sometime...

Back