• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

5 Minutes is all you need to get a deer.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Unfortunately sometimes those 5 minutes are at the end of several days. :haha:

I checked the time tonight and had 5 minutes left in the season when I got a shot at a nice size doe. I was headed back to the Jeep when I saw a pair of ears poke up over a rise in the plowed field I was crossing. Then a whole head. No antlers so it was a legal deer for the Illinois Late-Winter Antlerless deer season. :thumbsup:

When she turned her head I dropped to one knee and brought the GPR to full cock. She came on over the rise straight toward me while another head popped into view behind her. I set the trigger and waited for a better shot angle.

Finally she turned and I put the sights right behind her shoulder and fired. She ran like a scalded cat all the way across the field and into the neighbors land leaving a misty blood trail.

After calling the neighbor to ask for trespass permission I had to walk back to the Jeep for a flashlight and to drop off my guns. (Had the pistol along too.) Then I walked back to go look for her. That's a lot of walkin' across a big plowed field in the snow for a guy with bad knees!

She hadn't made it very far after the property line. Just far enough to go thru an impenetrable briar patch, downhill, over a log mess, and fall off an embankment. Fun times draggin' her outta there! I am sore! :haha:

Lyman GPR, .530 round ball I cast myself from lead makeumsmoke sent me, .020 ox-yoke pre-lubed patch, 80 grains of 2F Goex, Rem #11 cap.
Shot was about 75 yards. Hit right behind the right front leg, exited the left side just far enough back to barely cut the stomach. She ran 75-100 yards.

HPIM1218.jpg

Good hunting, Jethro! You must have a freezer full of venison by now. GW

And I'll bet it took longer than 5 minutes to drag her out!

Capper said:
Nothing like waiting until the last minute.

Congrats. :thumbsup:

Got one last year at the VERY last minute with my Bess too.
Gotta make sure I'm froze real good before I can get a late-winter deer I guess. :idunno:

Are you kidding me?:shocked2: How do you get so lucky on the last day of season. :haha:. Nice deer :hatsoff:. I didn't have much luck this weekend but saw the biggest buck in my life.

Congrats. Glad you got full use out of your license. Make 'em last! ;-)

Where I used to hunt (now a lease) the first few minutes of daylight on opening day were often all it took. Lately it seems I'm looking harder.

congrats, nice harvest.

Just goes to show never quit. good things come to those how wait.
Last minute is good. I have a opening day curse.
If i shot deer opening day I will not fill any more tags that year. on opening day I will hunt empty handed with my children but I am done shooting them opening day.

Great story Jethro. I can remember a couple of times when I said to myself "Ok, time's nearly up, I gave it my best. Guess I'll just walk back to camp and start planning for next year" when suddenly everything changes and you're back in the game again. Just goes to show, it aint over til the fat lady sings. Good job and congrats. Bill

Good on ya Jethro !
:hatsoff:

[I am SO glad I don't have to put up with hunting in the cold and snow ! :) ]

Grats Jethro :hatsoff:
Could be the reason she went so far is , Your questionable lead source! :rotf: :rotf:
My season ended yesterday! Skunked, Zilch, Nada, Nothing!! :shake: Maybe thats good every now and then, Keeps a man humble! :v

Back