• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal. Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernflinter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My 50 cal. shoots well but I have yet had a chance to shoot anything with it. A friend whould builds and hunts with 50s told me to use 75grs of 3f and not 2f like they claim. He has killed several bears so he should know. :)

I'm not sure exactly the reason of your post but sure, a lot of us use 3F in different calibers. Everyone should try both 2F and 3F in their guns and find the load it likes best. :thumbsup:

My 50's happen to like 2F better. But regardless, like a woman chooses her mate, a gun will choose it's powder. My load is 70gr. of 2F. I don't think it makes a heck of allot of difference between bears and deer. I have taken bears with a bow,not a gun though, they are not that hard to put down.

I'll chime in here too. My .50 hated, hated, hated 3F. Only 2F would do. It settled on 70gr altogether. Go with whatever your .50 likes the best.

michflinter said:
My 50 cal. shoots well but I have yet had a chance to shoot anything with it. A friend whould builds and hunts with 50s told me to use 75grs of 3f and not 2f like they claim. He has killed several bears so he should know. :)
What he "knows" is what works best for him. Work up the most accurate load you can for your gun and then tell him what works best for you. :thumbsup:

karwelis said:
well i use fffg in all 6 of my 50cals. and i worked up loads for each. what i like is you pick up like 50-60 fps using fffg over ffg

If your Chronographing your loads what are they??

I have a DGW Tenn. Mntn. Rifle that I love. I seem to remember the instructions suggested 70 grs FFg, but I found the rifle shoots much better with equal measure of FFFg. deadly on deer sized game :thumbsup:

Dunno, My 50 doesn't seem to like 2f, probably cause of the 1/16" vent, I can't get off 5 consistant shots using 2f, I have been shooting 65 gr.3f and was never satisfied with the way I shot, just for the heck of it I dropped it down to 55 gr. 3f and shot at a muzzleblast postal target at 25 yards, the first shot was just out of the black and the next 7 were in the black, hmmm, was it the powder charge or me, this was offhand. If I can continue to shoot like this I will stick with the 55 gr. 3f. I will not hesitate to use 55 gr. to hunt with. flinch

i'll chime in with the general consensus: one of my favorite parts of muzzleloading is the 'quality time' at the range working up a load which works best in that particular rifle.

having said that i urge you to get some of each type of powder, go to the range, and make good smoke!

Guns are often "named" with a woman's name! :hmm: because like a woman each gun has it's own preference. Like with women try different things untill you find out what she likes! :idunno: :idunno:

RickD said:
karwelis said:
well i use fffg in all 6 of my 50cals. and i worked up loads for each. what i like is you pick up like 50-60 fps using fffg over ffg

If your Chronographing your loads what are they??

i did that a couple years ago, and cant find the note book i wrote all that down in

I have two .50 cal rifles one likes 65 grn. and one likes 70, both prefer 2f. Either would take out our local black bears.

ohio ramrod said:
Guns are often "named" with a woman's name! :hmm: because like a woman each gun has it's own preference. Like with women try different things untill you find out what she likes! :idunno: :idunno:

That's why my .58 is named "Lady's Scorn". :rotf:

Back