• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal for elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend who shot the same way and his solution was to build a rest that looked like a big "T" and it was made out of light angle iron. he would pound it into the ground so it was at the right height for him to shoot using it as a rest in a standing offhand position.it wasn't rock solid but it gave him stability in the position he was trying to improve. he would shoot off this at one target for a couple shots and then shoot at another target offhand and so on his groups started tightening up right away. much of what we do when we are shooting is muscle memory and if you train your muscles to shoot larger groups they will continue to do it untill you retrain them. you may want someone to watch you shoot or video yourself and watch it to see if you can see somthing you want to change about your form or actions. good luck

Hello
Ok that this is awesome :thumbsup: I took the neck shot because that was what there was. I shoot 50 (490) cal round ball, patched with 011 cotton. I use 95 grains of 3F. I use my own mixture of goose grease to lube. I can hit a 4 x 4 square (but like hitting water filled coke cans better) at 75 yards (all the time, I do not shoot our 45, and 50 cals. any further than this). I agree practice is a must before any hunting . I also believe that practice must be done regularily in the off seasons as well.This keeps you tuned to the flash and boom (LOL). I do practice at least every couple of weeks. Most of my shooting is all off hand. I tend to practice in all shooting stances as well.I actually only shoot off the bench while working up loads.
I own over 30 cartiage guns, but really only shoot round ball rifles in both flint and percussion.
My best regards just a "Loaylist Dawg" :hatsoff:
OH and GOD save the KING!!! :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: That is a great response cheers :hatsoff: ,it makes a lot of sence to me... Besides most critters the momentuim is lost in the smaller cal. balls after 50 yards.. I had post earlier on another response and did not get to your before now..
Cheers, this is what this site is all about expressing opinion, sharing experiences
My deepest respect ..Just a "loyalistdawg"
OH and "God save the KING!!!" :hatsoff:

Back