• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal hawken vs hog?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was meant as a joke. :shake:

The elephant thing. The pig/one lung thing is totally serious. I've seen pigs killed that have one shriveled up lung from having been single lunged in the past.

Although, since we're going to talk about it.
http://www.shakariconnection.com/bullet-wounds.html

I have seen buffalo on their feet putting in a determined charge twelve hours after being hit through both lungs with a .375 solid.

A buffalo cow ... afterwards in the skinning shed we found out that she had a “pot leg” in her chest that had perforated the bottom of both lungs. The wound was festering but I suspect she was actually on her way to recovery.

Hippo, buffalo and particularly elephant have very thick elastic skin, with a thick fat underlayer that moves independent of the surface layer. The moment the animal moves, the wound is essentially closed unless it is a large one. Quite often a hunter, (or as I did in the Parks Department) will find an elephant that has been riddled with bullets from a poachers AK47. Ulcers and occasionally screw worm mark the wounds but these heal in a matter of weeks and the elephant is fine.

As the heart pumps it contracts and tends to seal the wound. .........A round nosed solid from a 9,3 makes a hole less than 3mm in size when it passes through the ventricles on a buffalo’s heart (unless they are full, when hydrostatic shock causes an explosive wound). When the heart begins to pump, the contraction of the muscles will seal such a small wound, so blood loss will only occur when the muscles are relaxed and the heart is filling. Small wonder then, that occasionally you get a buffalo that keeps going far longer with a “fatal” hit than most people believe possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt85 said:
Idaho Ron said:
I am just wanting to know how many game animals you have used that load on. You give the info like you have a fair amount of knowledge of the subject. Believe it or not hitting one lung on an elk does not mean your going to notch a tag. Ron

apparently you need to work on your aim if a 50 cal aint doing the job for ya Ron. i believe she did specify that ya need to hit the critter where it counts. not sure why ya feel the need to pick on her. :shake:

-matt

So Where did I say that a 50 was or wasn't doing the job? Is your 50 taking big game animals? if do post pictures. Hitting lungs is where it counts but with all hunting just hitting the chest does not mean a sure kill. Especially with a load that is border line at best.
I am not picking on her. It would just be better for people that are looking for info if the people that are giving it have some experience in the topic. I am not saying that she doesn't have any experience I am just wanting to clarify if the people that respond have any personal knowledge.

The question was will a PRB do the job on hogs. I never responded since I have never shot a hog with a PRB or anything else for that matter.
I could have did the same thing as most and said.

Heck yes, A PRB will kill anything on this continent. Nothing can stand up the mighty force of the PRB.

But I didn't. I am thinking that if someone offers advice I think they should have some experience in the topic.

BTW if your 50 cal PRB is just wounding animals maybe you should go with a conical. That might help you. Ron

Supercracker said:
it was meant as a joke. :shake:

The elephant thing. The pig/one lung thing is totally serious. I've seen pigs killed that have one shriveled up lung from having been single lunged in the past.

Thank you for the input. Your experience with seeing it first hand is valuable.

Ron

The only problem with TV shows is they don't show you the ones that got wounded and unrecovered. This is why I just cringe seeing "pro-staffers" shoot quartering forward animals with arrows or other types of bow or gun shots that are low-probability.

How does one aim for the brainstem? If one were target shooting and drew a brain stem on piece of paper, how many times would an average shooter with a muzzleloader hit it? In the show you mentioned they were probably shooting with scopes, but since the brainstem is rather small and buried under fur, flesh and bone, I don't know how anyone could "aim" for it given all the possible angles one might encounter in the field.

I think this is the point Idaho Ron is trying to make. We all know a 50 can kill an aweful lot of stuff. Cynthia Lee is probably right that a 1/2 inch hole that does make it through two lungs and the heart would generally be fatal on anything, though Supercracker has posted some very convincing statements that show otherwise on very large game. But one cannot assume full penetration, a perfect shot, etc and some margin for error in power (provided good accuracy) is many times a desireable thing on tougher animals.

These are just my general thoughts. I've never hunted hogs...but would love to someday! I know there are a lot of different sizes of hog...and if I do get a chance to hunt them, especially the huge russians, I think I'll carry the biggest bore I have.

True but having a .54 or larger caliber does not mean you will automatically get both lungs.

A poor hit with a larger caliber is still a poor hit. Caliber is not a substitute for skill.

Sucks don’t it, you want to be an ethical hunter, at the same time you want a traditional hunt. As I have never killed a pig “off the farm” I am in the same boat.
What to do? My thoughts are, start small. I want that Big Boar head on the wall as well, but I think I will start with short shots (sub 75 yards) & small (sub 125 lbs. pigs). Having helped cut up a number of mule deer & elk that were killed with prb, I feel I can ethically take that size pig at that range with a 50 cal. prb. Once I have seen what my 50 will do at the above limits, I will adjust as I see fit.
You should set your limits based on your knowledge. Thankfully pigs come in many sizes; I see videos of people taking 50, 75, & 100 pound pigs.
So this last may set some people off, but if you have land you can shoot on . . . buy a farm pig, bring a buddy that can shoot with a center fire rifle (to back up your shot, incase ) Then pen your pig, aim for the chest . You will have some real world knowledge & you can fill the freezer of yourself, loved ones, or the needy.

Spikebuck said:
How does one aim for the brainstem? If one were target shooting and drew a brain stem on piece of paper, how many times would an average shooter with a muzzleloader hit it?

know the anatomy of the subject critter.
Entry.jpg

Still a risky, low percentage shot that I probably shouldn't have taken.

Spikebuck said:
if I do get a chance to hunt them, especially the huge russians, I think I'll carry the biggest bore I have.

As tough as they are, most of the ones I know of that are killed get killed with .22s........put in exactly the right spot. That said, the closest I've ever come to being bit or hooked by one was after it had a 165 grain 3 blade snuffer through its lungs, then a couple of minutes later got another straight through it's right lung as it was coming for us and didn't stop trying to bite me til my buddy grabbed it's back legs and pulled it back so I could put a kabar in it about half a dozen times.
DSCN0150-1.jpg

I killed 2 hogs with a 50 cal. flintlock, 80 grains 2f Schuetzen and a patched round ball.

If you do your job, that load will do the rest!

SC45-70

Shane, That pig in the bottom pic has to be one of the ugliest hogs I have ever seen! :haha: :haha:
But you are right about the .22. We used to stalk in good and close and put it in the ear.
They fall right over like a sack of beans.

lorren68 said:
True but having a .54 or larger caliber does not mean you will automatically get both lungs.

A poor hit with a larger caliber is still a poor hit. Caliber is not a substitute for skill.

True that NOTHING will substitute for accuracy and shot placement but I "toungue in cheeck" like to hedge my bets cuz there is always someone trying to explain how a .32 is all the deer medicine you "need"... :wink:

Austinhuntman said:
Hey guys I have a question. Could a 50 cal hawken kill a hog like a big hog. I shoot prb and 80 grains of ff goex in my tc hawken at deer how would that do or would I need to use a maxi hunter and a different charge for big hogs
Your load will be fine on large hogs as long as it is accurate and you can put the RB where it needs to go. You do not need to use a maxi hunter conical. Keep in mind that a hog's anatomy is different than a deer's with the heart being lower in it's chest. http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html Good luck and be sure and post a picture of your hog.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were shooting the hogs at maybe a meter or 2 away and using dogs to round up the hogs. Either way I respect and agree with your point. You as a hunter have to make ethical shots and pass on the lower percentage shots. Also your right hogs come in all shapes and sizes and the fat content the hog has determines much of the penetrating resistance a hog has. I have shot close to 100 pigs with various weapons since they had so many on Ft Beening, in Georgia they paid you 40 dollars a peice to kill them. I will state my results. 7mm Rem Mag 150 grain nosler partition homeload nothing got away, 270 120 grain nosler same results nothing got away. 243 win 100 grain core loc lost one big hog around 275 lbs (likely bad shot 250 yards and walking) 50 cal prb 75 grains of powder never lost a hog, 20 gauge slug never lost a hog, 12 ga 00 buck lost one hog killed 8) bow lost one with a liver maybe farther back hit. Killed 12 in the traps with .22 lr pistol one shot dead hog, right between the eyes in the "fatal-T". Point is with any weapon a solid lethal hit it a dead hog. If your going to attempt a 100 yd shot on a hog with a prb expect poor results, but being almost every hog I have killed has been under 50 yards should not be an issue, where I hunted you could see past that anyways in most spots and hogs eyes are bad worse then deer, there smell is great but you stalk hogs like deer wind in the face and u can smell them way before you ever see them. Just move slow and if you see them and they are looking at you dont move they dont see ya, when they spot ya they are long gone. Never had one charge me either not saying it doesnt happen maybe thats just game ranch hogs.

Idaho Ron said:
cynthialee said:
nothing on earth can survive a .490 caliber roundball passing through its' vitals
Now granted there are some critters that should be hunted with a bigger gun than a .50 but don't think you are underguned with that load.
That Hawken will make meat out of a pig in short order.

I am curious how many animals you have killed with that load to come to that opinion? Ron
How many animals have you shot in the lungs with a .50 RB and had them make it?

Stone Knife said:
How many animals have you shot in the lungs with a .50 RB and had them make it?

I have posted this before but I will do it again.

I watched a man shoot a cow with a PRB. He said he hit her "behind the shoulder". We followed the tracks and he eventually gave up. I continued until I killed her with a conical. The man shot her with a PRB and hit one lung on a quartering to him shot. That is why I said before one lung on an elk dies not mean you are going to notch a tag.
I also said before I did not reply to the original post because I have never shot a hog with a PRB.

Since I had no personal knowledge of the topic I did not feel the need to express my views. I did ask that others give their personal experience on the game and load so the OP could have meaningful answers on the topic. It was my opinion he was getting a lot of back slappin, and hell ya's with no personal knowledge.
Ron

Just how big are we talking about? In Florida, one topping three hundred pounds isn't unheard of, though not a daily sight. On the ranch we've killed lots of 200+ pounders- most of them with .22s or .223s(they're pests on a cattle ranch). Hogs are tough, but they don't soak up lead the way people often think they do. Most that you see are 65-170lbs.
The only hog I recall shooting with my .50 was 165lbs sow this fall, a through and through at thirty yards with roughly the same load you're proposing. It made a truly impressive wound. She ran about 20ft and was udders-up.
I guess what I'm saying is, a fifty will make bacon. If you are talking about a 400lbs behemoth at 90yds, conicals might be in order.

Well when stationed at ft benning ga I hunted many different areas to get the hogs it was cash in my pocket and thats when gas was 4 bucks a gallon back in 2007-2008 time frame. I hunted archery only areas, and shotgun areas, all other areas were open game. I used to use my trusty 7mm rem mag as primary weapon but the rounds were home loads and when I ran low I just switched guns, plus its fun to carry a different gun. Plus the terrain dictats as well. If I was hunting the palmettos in the swamp the shotgun was the way to go with buckshot, hogs were close, and were theres one theres many so don't shoot the first one you see thats usually the boar who stands outside the group, get to the main group and I was using an 11-87 with a modified choke and 3inch 00 buck at close range the hogs would just squel and thats it. Usually that way you can get at least 2 oinkers. But most pigs were 50-150 lbs on average. The only time I have ever seen a hog soak up lead was about a 300 lber my buddy shot about 7 times with an ar-15, kind of light ion my opinion for big hogs but thats his call,, it ran by me and dropped it with one shot with a 243 right below the ear. If you close and its a huge pig thats the best spot to hit them if you have the gun to do it. I tried the same shot at 10 yards with the 50 cal because the vitals were hidin it was 10 yards the shot went a touch high and drop the hog but it wasn't dead but breathin hard and spinnin circles, it just cracked the skull was all. But i have seen hogs get killed with every gun known 30-30, 45-70, 22 lr, shotguns, ml, ar's, sks's, 243, 35 rem, 7mm, 30-06, 257 weatherby, 270, bow, and even one with a knife. Get in tight to them and take well aimed close shots, there is no magic gun, load, or caliber, each situation and area caused me to change guns out. 50 cal round ball 80 grains of powder under 50 yards behind the shoulders all day long both lungs into hamburger regardless of the size of the pig. The reason most hogs are lost is one the terrain I have hunted in is swamps, thick nasty, muddy, snake infilled areas (problem-1) Problem 2 a big hogs fat will plug and fill in entrace and exit hole with a smaller caliber, making tracking tough, especially it nasty areas. 95 percent of all the hogs I have shot have dropped on the spot or went less then 10 yards. Hint frontal shot forget the vitals put the round right between the eyes, quarter to shots just wait unless you can get a below the ear, or fatal-t shot, broad side or quartering away tight to the shoulder a touch high mid-body (yes the heart is low) but the shot I described if hit right will take out the lungs and bottom of the spine in one shot, if its walking away, base of the spine and head (I only take this shot under 20 yards) keep in mind most were with scoped rifles so accuracy was spot on. Forget shooting at running hogs after the first shot, instead look for the hogs that scatter and they usually dont go more then 50 yards and they are trying to figure out where the rest of the group is to get back with them those are the ones you want to shoot much easier then a running hog. Also this might sound inhumane but always if your trying to kill pigs off shoot the sow if the piglets are around 35-50 pounds, then when you kill the sow the hogs will not leave the area the sow was shot in for about a week. You can come back and take those dudes out to regularly. Hope this helps hit me up on PM if anyone wants more help on trapping them, or following the root marks.

Back