• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

50 cal hawkins woodsman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga2588

32 Cal.
Reaction score
im looking at a 50 cal hawkens woodsman made by traditions. just want opinions on it and is there other manufactures i should look at. will be hunting deer.i found one for $359

You might want to have a look at the lyman trade rifle. The trade rifle is around that price and a little better quality in my opinion. Definitely worth a look before purchasing the traditions.

I have owned one since early 1990's and killed quite a few deer and accuracy is fine. Ignition time is not a good as a TC Hawken or Lyman. Not even close to be honest. The gun is not as well finished either.

My opinion:

Anything TC........................best :thumbsup:
Anything Lyman.....................good :grin:

Anything.................Traditions :idunno:

I've posted my experience with this a few times. I have The rifle, bought new in 2005. It is a very good rifle. Finish and machining are all very good quality. Very accurate too. If instantaneous ignition is slow, then I guess I have that problem also. Compared to the TC;smaller stock and no cheek rest. Different breech set-up. I will shoot against any TC Hawken any day and perform just as well. My comments are based only on my rifle and its' model year. I have no experience with any other Tradition's rifles. For $359 it better be new, fairly new-unused condition. Market resale just does not compare with the other rifles.Typically, used condition=$150,used/like new $200.

I've had one for a couple of years. Never had any problem with it. It's more accurate than I can usually be.

I agree with olscreek. The Lyman Trade Rifle is much better. Third Generation has the .50 caliber Trade Rifle percussion for only $300: http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/4,11443.html . I bought one in .54 a few months back. I have two Lyman GPRs and the Trade Rifle is of the same quality. They also come with two rear sights, one fixed and one adjustable. Better hurry, they have only two in stock. These are on close out, so they won't be getting any more in. Frankly, I feel that T/C is way over priced. Sure T/C has their warranty, but one of my Lyman GPRs I've had for over 35 years and never had a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Cowpoke, the Lyman Trade Rifle is a solid, well built and accurate rifle. The .54 barrel will be a little lighter than the .50 and makes for a better balance. It's the best bang for your buck out there IMO.

Frankly, I feel that T/C is way over priced
Made in USA, there is a choice where you want to send your money. Of course right now the Spanish and Italians could REALLY use our money.

Market resale just does not compare with the other rifles.

And this says it all applies even up to today with their other style muzzle loaders. :hmm:
One has to simply place them side by side and you can tell the difference. If you can't, than I suppose they are just as good. And quality is the same too :idunno: and in your eyes that is all that counts. Many happy shooting times. :wink:

I bought a Traditions Hawkin Style in a kit. With a lot of work the kit came out nice but I had to move the front sight to far one way to get it to shoot on paper.
The barrel must have been bored off center in the back. The BP rifle fired ok but not as reliable as my TC Hawkin that I also built from a kit.

I also have a TC Flintlock I bought NEW old stock and it shoots straight, better than I can.

Back